FFA?

Help Support Steer Planet:

FutureBreeder2013

im about to enter my first year of HS and was wondering if FFA would be worth joining.

my main question is how much could a kid learn even if their stuck in the city limits  ???

Blake

join join join  you will learn tons of things you can do all sorts of things no matter where you live

brandisshortys

I was a member of FFA and really loved it.  Although I am a farm kid, I lived in town during high school.  I had many friends that did not really show livestock or live on a farm and some of them joined FFA as Freshmen too.  They learned quite a bit about crops and livestock from participating in contests and taking ag classes throughout high school.  I would say they probably learned the most by becoming friends with more of the farm kids and learning directly from them.  My best advice is to give it a try, but make sure that you jump in with both feet.  Try whatever interests you.  I thought I would hate soil judging and some of my friends talked me into it.  Turns out I learned a lot to help me get through my soils classes in college.

CPL

#1- JOIN

#2- you can learn alot. Depending on your Chapter, there are numerous judging teams, projects, workshops, etc etc. That provide a great learning environment for those interested in agricultural whether they live on a farm or not.

I'm pretty sure one of the 2008-2009 National Officers wasn't even raised on a farm. And a past National President who spoke at our State Convention was born in Mexico.

As President of our chapter, and talking to many other chapters in our area, agricultural programs need all the support they can get. And there are many aspects of agriculture that have nothing to do with on-farm or country work.

FutureBreeder2013

thanks so much guys

like brandisshortys  said i already signed up for all the ag classes ican get my hands on so far from what ive heard ill be abnle to have a grea time.

i also just remembered what i was told when i went out tohelp AI at Heartland Simmental and Angus by Cora. she said that theyd help me out as much as possible with show calves.

SueBee

This is something I'm pretty passionate about.  We live in a semi-rural area.  Surrounded by lots of farms being sold for development.  I was never involved in FFA or any kind of ag program when I was growing up - but when I first had my kids and moved to where we are living now - it was still pretty rural.  The only activities for my kids to be involved in anywhere within 10 miles of home were church and 4H.  We got started in 4H (on top of all the church activities).  My kids continued with 4H until they reached middle school - they then became involved in FFA also.  Even though we are not a "farming" family, my kids have been very involved in FFA.   FFA provides all kids of opportunities for kids.  My shy 12 year old daughter became an officer and was required to speak in public.  The confidence she gained from the few contests they participated in (parly Pro, opening & closing) has given her an edge in everything she has done - from job interviews to college speeches.  She can present herself in a logical, mature manner and convey her opinions effectively.  The leadership trainings held by our state FFA, the district and state contests have all contributed to her growth as a responsible citizen.  Not to mention the responsibility of the actual market projects (swine) that she raised and sold.  My son, who is just entering 10th grade, is already on a state winning FFA team and he is planning on going to Indianapolis to complete for the national title.  My brothers were in FFA when we were growing up - but they just really liked to goof off in the class.  For my kids - to be a part of the club and organization has been a great experience for them.  You get out of it what you put in - but I can tell you from experience - there is a lot to gain!  Also, don't forget the scholarships.  FFA has alot of money to give to students going to college.

shorthorn boy

Definitely join, FFA offers so many things. Actually there were 3 members in my FFA chapter that lived in town and all 3 were very successful and all three won national awards. In 2007 my FFA chapter won the state dairy cattle judging contest and 3 out of the 4 that competed had never been raised around cattle nor worked around cattle for that matter. Out of our whole FFA chapter there are only 5 members, including me, that are involved with livestock and only 9 members that live on a farm, including me and the 5 livestock kids, and this is out of the 20 active members that we have. I bet the out of our whole section that half of the members don't live on a farm and live in town. FFA has something to offer for everyone, and it opens more doors for possible college and job opportunities too. FFA can also help you with things like record keeping skills, public relations, public speaking, and leadership skills just to name a few.

HT

JOIN..JOIN..JOIN...JOIN!!! There are SO SO SO many GREAT opportunities out there and SO many GREAT and WONDERFUL things that will come out of it. Leadership and having a great time meeting people, and showing!! Going to conventions and other great leadership things!!!
You wont regret it!! It was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made!!

shorthorn boy

I don't know of any work shops through FFA, there may be some in other states but Im pretty sure we don't have one here In Illinois. If you find out about a workshop (not through FFA) that will be going on locally just talk to you ag advisor and they will probably help you get signed up.

HT

FutureBreeder2013 said:
what kind of beef or cattle work shops are there?

There are clinics on livestock judging, Showmanship, clipping, nutrition, etc.. There are also Career Workshops @ conventions. At least that's how it is in FL. You can submit proficiencies in any enterprises (beef production, entrepreneur, crops, aquaculture, etc.) You can qualify for state, win state and then go to Nationals and compete!! It is so so so much fun meeting other people from other states at Nationals, and also meeting others from your state at state conventions.

simtal

FFA can be great or a waste of time, IMO.  I would say the adviser either  makes or breaks your experience.  In my experience, your only as good as your adviser. However, I have many friends who thought FFA was one the best experiences  they ever had.

cowman 52

If you put in some work it will get you a 1000 times that back,  put me through school, keeps me still working and not in a homeless shelter an the people you meet will be a great help later on

Reinken Cattle Co.

I say join for sure! the Iowa FFA program is awesome.... But ill tell you this... dont just join. Be active!!! go to all events possible step up to do anything. Its not what you know its who you know, and from what ive seen you want to get your foot in the door in the cattle industry. Trust me ull meet some very interesting cattle people along your journey of FFA.

Matt

nlgriff

I'm a member. And let me just say its the most fun you can have in high school.. (Or at least it was for me)  And about the city limits thing. FFA is not all about sows ,cows, and plows its about agriculture and hands on experience and having a lot of fun while doing it. About half of our chapter lives in urban areas and we have around 40 people out for FFA.  And about the workshops maybe your county extension office or ag advisor will help you look.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I recommend joining FFA. You learn so much and meet such interesting people. My favorite thing was FFA cattle shows. I really enjoyed district and state contests too. In our chapter focused a lot on managing money for our projects, which helped me so much with starting my purebred simmental herd! :) Join and you won't regret it!

I had my last FFA cattle show this past weekend. I'm going to miss FFA so much!

Good luck!  ;D

3HFarms

I honestly think it depends on your chapter and advisor and how willing you are to be active.  I would say JOIN!

I for one LOVED it!!!!!!!!!! But I AM SO GLAD TO BE OUT! Let me explain... I learned a lot and met tons of amazing people while making my most favorite memories. At first we had an awesome advisor and then we had a woman advisor thats totally politics and if your parents dont party with her then you are nothing and she really made life rough but i got over it. Now im on a college equine team and there are no politics and drama so its just way better

ShortyJ13

Hey FutureBreeder2013!

I'm a sophomore in high school. Where I live FFA is offered to the junior high students too, so this will be my 4Th -OFFICIAL- year. Our town is so small though, the 4-H and FFA teams are practically one in the same. But since I've been in the FFA chapter at school, I'd defiantly tell you to do it. Not only can you show through FFA and whatnot, but the other stuff is really fun too. For instance I did creed speaking my freshman year and it was really fun. Not to mention all of the conventions, and camps there are. You get to meet a lot of people that you can relate too is what I've found, and I know that I benefited a lot from it... I'd recommend it to anyone who had a good Ag Advisor who lead an active chapter.

herfchic

You should definately join.  I live in a very rural area and over half of our high school was in the ffa chapter.  I always had a lot of fun, and the others in the chapter had the same interests as me, so I could actually talk to them about show cattle without their eyes glazing over like most of my teammates in sports.  Have Fun!!