Finally - AI certified!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

Was finally able to attend a AI school last weekend and was certified through select sires.  Our poor practice cows were a bunch of worn out dairy cows heading to slaughter.  Was really hard to AI some of them, but per instructor and helpers, if we could AI them, then nice beef cows in heat, "should" be a breeze.  Please tell me there is some truth to this! I'm a pretty big boy, and some of the cows it was all I could do to reach their worn out stretched out cervix's using every inch of my arm.  So I can't wait to try a younger beef cow.

cpubarn

Congratulations!

You will like your own cows in heat better, hopefully you can start soon and it is cool when the first calf you AI'd is born!

Mark

ZNT

See'ing that first A.I. calf born from your new skill is the best feeling.  It still makes me feel good when we take the cows to get preg checked, and they are confirmed "bred".

Now that you are certified, keep practicing, and do as many cattle as you can.  NUMBERS is the only way to really get good.  Just when you think you have seen everything, there will be one that comes along that throws you for a loop.

hamburgman

Anybody can breed beef cows.  Lots of times I am only in the cow wrist deep.

dare3324

My first AI calf is the weeks old! It is a great feeling . They instructors are right that the beef cows are easier .

Mill Iron A

The hardest part about those schools is yes the beef cows in heat should be nicer but the heifers you breed can have ridiculously small cervix to pass.  Get with Ty, I wonder what he thinks of you going to a select sires school.... ha just kidding.  Congratulations!

leanbeef

All true... Congrats. And yes...It IS easier on a "real" cow. A heifer's cervix is typically pretty small compared to a cow, but it can sometimes be easier to get into and navigate because it doesn't have as many nooks and crannies. They're usually about the diameter of your finger where a cow's cervix can feel more like a fist. Start as soon as possible and do as many as you can...that's the best advice I can give you. Congrats! Now go get em!

Warrior10

leanbeef said:
All true... Congrats. And yes...It IS easier on a "real" cow. A heifer's cervix is typically pretty small compared to a cow, but it can sometimes be easier to get into and navigate because it doesn't have as many nooks and crannies. They're usually about the diameter of your finger where a cow's cervix can feel more like a fist. Start as soon as possible and do as many as you can...that's the best advice I can give you. Congrats! Now go get em!
Congrats on becoming certified. And I would agree will leanbeef, especially on the bolded part...some people, myself included, find heifers just as easy if not easier. They are harder to find but IMO entering the cervix and making your way through it is easier on a heifer.

Bilmar

Congrats, I took the class first of the month and started A.I last weekend, it seems to be easier that the dairy cows. I like you have fore arms as big as most upper arms, and feel real bad for the cows and heifers. It makes it challenging. Good luck.

Davidsonranch

Thanks everyone.  You all are making feel a little better about this!  Spreading the word to my friends but will not start on my stuff until late next month or early June.  Can't wait!