Finally our last calf!! But what is it??

Help Support Steer Planet:

vet tech

we had our last calf last night out of our favorite cow(Landslide x Angus). The only problem is we don't know what it is. She is a cute little smoky heifer and is either out of our herd bull Wayne (Irish Whisky x Draft Pick) or Heat Wave. here is the story. We flushed this cow on October 30th of last year to Heat Wave...actually the 30th was when she was ai'ed. After we flushed her we did not give her a shot to reset her system ( Get rid of any other embryo's that did not get flushed out. But her due date would have to be the 6th of this month. So if the calf was a heat wave it would be 15 days late.
After she was flushed she was pute out with the bull for only a very short while ( 15 days tops). Do you think that she could have come back in heat after only 15 days after the flush??
What do you think the calf is??
I will get a pic later 2day.

Jill

She should come in heat 15 days after the flush, remember the calf is 7 days old at flush time.  I would guess since you say she is a little calf that it is not the Heat Wave.

vet tech

Jill said:
She should come in heat 15 days after the flush, remember the calf is 7 days old at flush time.  I would guess since you say she is a little calf that it is not the Heat Wave.
sorry...what i meant to say is that she was AI'ed on the 30th not flushed, so the eggs would not be 7 days old on the 30th. sorry its a hard story to follow.

Cowboy

Vet Tech, as most of you know we run an ET center here -- and I personally NEVER shoot the donor on flush day. I simply infuse them, and all of the above concerns are done with in one lick. No infection possible, and certainly NO pregnancy either.

Your donor, serviced on 10-30 -- would have a x-bred due date of 8-9 based on a 283 day gestation.

If she was indeed not pregnant -- YES, she was due to come in heat 14 days after the flush with no shots given, ours do it all the time. Soooo -- if you placed a bull with her for 15 days, she most likely cycled on time a day or two before you yanked him back out -- thus -- a SMALL calf -- and not the gargantuan you would have gotten with a 15 day over due Heat Wave. There is your answer in a nut shell!

I don't think there is any question what it is as far as I can say!

Good job any way -- you got lucky!

Terry

DL

VT - biology being what it is, cows never having read the book etc while it is likely that the sire is your herd bull, if you want to know for sure you need to parentally verify the calf....

Latest posts