Finising fat% (Umbargers) Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

Somehow this got posted in the classified section earlier????, but Just curious for opinions how people have finished steers on Umbargers since it has only 3% fat, even though they do lower protein level.  Do you have to add extra fat to finish with and how much do you usually add?  Just curious because both Honor and Showmaster finish with around 5% fat (lower protein as well).  Even Kent/Moremans has a higher fat% than Umbargers.  For those that use Umbargers, do you have trouble getting finish/cover on your steers?  Thank you for your replies

bolt

We always added golden flo somehow in hay soaked oats or some how.  S & S feed has some cherry corn oil that is high in fat.  We always had luck with calves just killing that stuff in their feed.

PLKR

Not having fed Umbarger feed myself (although I know lots of folks who do feed it), I cannot answer the question with certainty, but my thought is there is more included in the total energy of a feed than just its fat content...i.e. starch/carbs. I have not heard of complaints with finishing cattle on Umbarger's finisher, but I realize most of us like to see that "5% Fat" on our feed label when fattening cattle...

LT

We have fed Umbarger and even sold it!  The best way to finish a steer on Umbarger is to switch to Barley Base to put on the cover.  We start the BB about 45-60 days prior to finish, this gives the uniform finish over the top without the fatty lumps.  The judges consistantly comment o the fresh uniform finish our calves have.  One nice thing about Umbarger is that you can change over from ration to ration in the Umbarger line and not throw them off feed.  And since the rations are so different in content, you have several options for your calves for steers or heifers.

Good Luck

OH Breeder

We have fed alot of feeds. We tried umbarger's for a couple seasons. I just never got it or maybe didn't know how to feed it. We were mixing finishing ration with grower ration and it just seemed easier to have our feed mix and change it as we went. Every calf is different and I guess it works for alot of folks. We just feed some much it is easier to buy in bulk.