Firewater

Help Support Steer Planet:

ATM OH

I know the Char bull Firewater gets mentioned on here from time to time.  Never see much detail get brought up about what he excels in or maybe even his downfalls.  I am basically wanting to know what he does frame wise....does he moderate or maybe even stay true to the cow like a lot of bulls?  Also, does he need to be used on a deep bodied cow?  Any info would help, I see calf pics from time to time and I typically like the look.

Steer4Caddy

He's a purebred so they don't look stout and clubby as babies but get better with age. If you want a club calf, you'll need to breed him stout.  They might add a touch of frame but probably keep similar to cow.

CAB

It'll be interesting to see what Dykes' interest in Firewater brings on their online sale.

ATM OH

I like his mature video...he is definitely unique.  Just needs to be used properly.

Mill Iron A

apparently you have never seen the bull in person, he looks nothing like a chicken legged, narrow pinned, puss gutted typical angus.  He is big boned, large framed, stout, and rugged. Not sure where your going with breed character.... but if bad cattle is breed character then I don't want anything to do with it.

CAB

-XBAR- said:
he's lost all breed character.  Phenotypicall looks like an Angus.  Charolais should should be course and rigid.

And here I was thinking of breeding a little Char for the 1st time in over 40 years. I guess I'll just keep using the better Angus bulls. Thanks for the heads up.

RyanChandler

Mill Iron A said:
apparently you have never seen the bull in person, he looks nothing like a chicken legged, narrow pinned, puss gutted typical angus.  He is big boned, large framed, stout, and rugged. Not sure where your going with breed character.... but if bad cattle is breed character then I don't want anything to do with it.

No, I've only seen a picture.  I can name off the top of my head at least 10 Angus bulls that are 1)larger boned 2) larger framed 3) stouter 4) More rugged so I'm not sure where you're going w/ that.   Breed character.. Here's some breed character for you: Pleasant Dawn Marshall 70P

Attachments

• Marshall70P.jpg
    Marshall70P.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,259

Mill Iron A

I am a registered red angus breeder and I go to several sales of several different breeds and there will never be a true angus bull that is as stout boned or as big hipped as firewater period.  Ironically in person he looks much more like the bull you posted a picture of so maybe you should go see cattle in person before you talk them down. as a disclaimer I don't own any part of the bull nor have any want or need to promote him, i'm just saying there are a lot of other charolais bulls that are popular right now that I would accept that comment about but not this bull.  It's just not accurate.  As far as CAB, I would still have you reconsider breeding charolais on your commercial cattle because the cross is amazing.  Angus and red angus have their place and I obviously enjoy both of those breeds and have more at stake with them than the charolais.  I just don't think we should try and make the maternal breeds terminal. 

Bradenh

-XBAR- said:
he's lost all breed character.  Phenotypicall looks like an Angus.  Charolais should should be course and rigid.
-XBAR- said:
-XBAR- said:

I want some of whatever your on that tells you he looks angus...

GONEWEST

-XBAR- said:
Mill Iron A said:
apparently you have never seen the bull in person, he looks nothing like a chicken legged, narrow pinned, puss gutted typical angus.  He is big boned, large framed, stout, and rugged. Not sure where your going with breed character.... but if bad cattle is breed character then I don't want anything to do with it.

No, I've only seen a picture.  I can name off the top of my head at least 10 Angus bulls that are 1)larger boned 2) larger framed 3) stouter 4) More rugged so I'm not sure where you're going w/ that.   Breed character.. Here's some breed character for you: Pleasant Dawn Marshall 70P

OK big boy, lets hear 'em. Give me 10 Angus bulls stouter , bigger hipped. Off the top of your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQLl70rVQw

Gargan

GONEWEST said:
-XBAR- said:
Mill Iron A said:

OK big boy, lets hear 'em. Give me  Angus bulls stouter , bigger hipped. Off the top of your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQLl70rVQw
(pop)

DakotaCow

I'm almost giddy waiting to hear about how this bull is not char enough. Here I thought his more moderate frame size was a benifit to this looking for that in a bull......

ATM OH

How are the Firewater's daughters doing in production.  There has to be a lot of them out there.

RyanChandler

DakotaCow said:
I'm almost giddy waiting to hear about how this bull is not char enough. Here I thought his more moderate frame size was a benifit to this looking for that in a bull......

Moderate shouldn't be in the same sentence as Charolais.  I liked Firewater better before I saw the video.  He falls way short of following his tracks and I don't know that he could even lift his head above his shoulders.  Judging only from the video of course  ::)  He does have an enormous rear.  And I never said an Angus could compete w/ him here.

Im curious as to ATM's comment of "he needs to be used properly." 

Attachments

• net_worth_4200.jpg
    net_worth_4200.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 379
  • SAVPRIORITY7283.jpg
    SAVPRIORITY7283.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 306
  • SAVProvidence6922.jpg
    SAVProvidence6922.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 318

Mill Iron A

SAV cattle do not have as much bone as firewater.  Never have never will, and ironically you are saying he is too much like angus when in reality he doesn't have enough guts and he is perfectly sound in person.  But oh wait you haven't seen him in person and you are making all of these assumptions from videos and pictures you found on the internet.  The next time I need advice that I could have surmised myself... I'll call you.  In the mean time maybe you should get out in the world and look at the cattle before you start making incredibly idiotic statements such as the ones you have on this post.

RyanChandler

Mill Iron A said:
SAV cattle do not have as much bone as firewater.  Never have never will, and ironically you are saying he is too much like angus when in reality he doesn't have enough guts and he is perfectly sound in person.  But oh wait you haven't seen him in person and you are making all of these assumptions from videos and pictures you found on the internet.  The next time I need advice that I could have surmised myself... I'll call you.  In the mean time maybe you should get out in the world and look at the cattle before you start making incredibly idiotic statements such as the ones you have on this post.

My statements are astute and correct.  He does have more bone than the picture would initially indicate but in the video you see that much bone is disproportionate to his frame size.  I've seen plenty of cattle w/ his type: Not enough overall muscle mass to fulfill a terminal sire's roll and not nearly enough rib to want replacements out of. His growth EPDs would indicate his mediocrity just as I have. If you're interested in some scale smashing Char genetics, hit me up, Ill point you in the right direction. If you're looking for momma cows and not lbs, you might want go on over the the British isle... (lol) shorthorn pun intended.

Here's you a cpl Char bulls to make ya feel all funny inside  :-*

Attachments

• valdevie.jpg
    valdevie.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,836
  • vittoz.jpg
    vittoz.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,835

DakotaCow

If all Charolais are supposed to be terminal then where do more Charolais cattle come from? Do they not have moms? Are no cows charlolais? perhaps chars come from your shorthorn supermoms. It's clear that firewater has only been sampled by a ffew people and no success stories or high sale averages have ever come from this bull. Say what you want about the bull but those who use him do so knowing he is nothing other than a white angus....extreme sarcam implied.