FIREWATER

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROMAX

As i was perousing through Youtube (at work) i came across a video of the this Charolais bull.I am not a char fan but this bull blew me away,thick ,muscular, athletic,bone,and a small head.I thought if you are not fan of a bull like this no matter whay colour he is you should give your head a shake.

Bulldaddy

This is a bull that I have been tempted to try but was afraid he may add frame which I don't need.  So it is interesting to see that Till-Hill thinks he will reduce frame.  Also, Freddy, good point about those fancy pictures.  Ultimately, the proof in in the offspring, right!

dn91

I really liked this bull so I tried him on a few cows, these were old PB char cows. The first had a small 80lb heifer and the second one had a 135lb bull calf. So I guess thats a pretty big leap even if it is only on two head to compare, Im a little hesitant on using him again. To the other people that have used him, what were the birth weights like on the calves?Thanks

Bradenh

Heifer in my profile picture is a firewater, last topic on here about him turned into a riot! But all the heifers that beat me are firewaters as well, as well as the ones that beat them

RyanChandler

My hang up with him is his heart girth, well the lack of it and how shallow his chest floor is. Coincidentally, when you get an animals body that tapers that excessively to his chest floor/foreflank, you get shoulders that set outside the body as opposed to lying flat and smoothly transitioning from the body into the shoulder.  In most of the his offspring pics I see, the heifers rear flank girth is always much greater than its heart girth. I think that resulting phenotype will be fairly common when using a bull so devoid of true internal capacity.  I much prefer the look of Montezuma 6T. 

Till-Hill

Possum Trot Ranch said:
This is a bull that I have been tempted to try but was afraid he may add frame which I don't need.  So it is interesting to see that Till-Hill thinks he will reduce frame.  Also, Freddy, good point about those fancy pictures.  Ultimately, the proof in in the offspring, right!
He himself is listed as a 5.9 frame bull. Not overly big. Used him 2 years in a row on a white shorty cow got cool color both time, almost hereford looking but I'd say the yearling heifer is a good 4-6" shorter than a Pendleton heifer out of the Firewater's Simmental sired sister who is biggest cow on farm, 6-8" shorter than a Double Talent heifer that are all the same age.

Also used him on bunch of Red Angus 2nd calvers last year. Guy loves them but even now as 3 month old calves you can pick them out of the bunch, stocky cool looking but for sure shortest calves in the bunch. Surprised me also. Easy feeding from what I have seen tho. Will keep using him.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I might clarify my first post ,the picture problem is with most of these cattle,in his video I would have like to seen him come closer to following his front prints with back while traveling ,but he is extremely long ,but is he balanced ....His heifers have been fabulous ,especially in show ring, no doubt .Progeny is the proof and like most bulls not every ones genetics work on some bulls, it isn't always the bulls fault ...You can also go to these shows and think your right on track and one mans opinion can crash everything you thought was right ...

FriedgesCharolais

-XBAR- said:
My hang up with him is his heart girth, well the lack of it and how shallow his chest floor is. Coincidentally, when you get an animals body that tapers that excessively to his chest floor/foreflank, you get shoulders that set outside the body as opposed to lying flat and smoothly transitioning from the body into the shoulder.  In most of the his offspring pics I see, the heifers rear flank girth is always much greater than its heart girth. I think that resulting phenotype will be fairly common when using a bull so devoid of true internal capacity.  I much prefer the look of Montezuma 6T.
Charolais as a breed are tight hearted its one of the breeds flaws

admidolo

Here are some pictures of a registered October daughter of Firewater. I will continue to use him heavily. We have several spring borns that are also very impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 256

Charguy

Ive been happy with my Firewater females. The bull calves are decent but not at the top of the pen. Not enough performance for me. Watch the feet as well. If the cow doesnt have enough hoof, choose another bull, imo. But if you want females this is as good of a char bull as you will find.

Like the looks of this Game Changer bull on the side. Anyone see him around this fall/spring?

Bradenh

Spread to us your infinite show cattle wisdom and enlighten us on how firewater makes your knees weak of dismay, mr chandler, I'm dying to know

Mainevent

Same old same old, looks to much like a heifer, tight heart girth. No matter the numerous champions he's sired. As well as other promo bulls.

RyanChandler

Show stopper 95 said:
Spread to us your infinite show cattle wisdom and enlighten us on how firewater makes your knees weak of dismay, mr chandler, I'm dying to know
Simple. This bulls primary weakness is his lack of fore rib/heart- With internal capacity being the single most important trait when selecting for females, you can see how this is conflicting.