First (Alien) Braunvieh Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

As you may recall this lovable alien traveled to Double R Ranch, Hill City, Kansas and purchased two Braunvieh cows. Well we had our first calf this morning which is out of their impressive bull, Oz. This little bull calf weighed 87 lbs, and has picked up the name Tinman. He was born about 8:30 am. My wife was able to snap one picture of him and will get some more later.

Attachments

• tinman.JPG
    tinman.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 625

justme

Red the ones I seen at the American Royal have the same colorings or close to a Brown Swiss.  Very pretty coloring

braunvieh

He is out of the bull that is my avatar and will be that color...eventually. First they look frosty then darken as they age and shed. He may not have the white muzzle as his mother does not.

kanshow

Cute!   

Did anyone catch the Braunvieh episode of the American Rancher on RFDTV?    That was pretty interesting. 

Show Dad

Red, Braunvieh told us when we got the cows how they change color as they grow. Which is cool stuff for us red or black Angus folks. I finally caught the little guy nursing and my wife got a few pictures. Will get the up when she has time to download them off the camera.

Need to go out and check since I think the other one is close to calving too. Maybe by morning.

Show Dad

OK, my wife got home and downloaded some more pictures. We have seen him nurse finally. Those little guys can be tricky.

Attachments

• bull calf31009.JPG
    bull calf31009.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 449
  • floras calf.JPG
    floras calf.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 460
  • nursing.JPG
    nursing.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 488

kobo_ranch

Wow soooo cute . . . you know I love Braunviehs, I wanted to do them until our club calf guy (long time in the business) said NO Braunviehs for show cattle.  I still disagree, but I was outnumbered and went Angus/Maine, I still want to AI to a great bull or two from a couple of breeders.  (and yea, thats where I saw them first on RFD (my hubbys favorite channel--HEE HAW!! )
They are just too cute, not to mention being great Mamas.  I swear one of these days I'm gonna have one of these little cuties!!
Good luck with yours!  (clapping)

red

wow- he's not what I expect after being dry! It will be fun to watch the color pattern as he matures! Neat SD!

Red

SWMO

Check out thornecattle.com.  They have had good success with braunvieh x club calf.

We have had some commercial braunvieh cross cows and they are great mommas.