first calf heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Jill, I was asking about the An bulls for myself & am looking for a great maternal Angus bull that doesn't give too much of the clubbie look away> The Mr. cleans that I have seen so far all look similar. Knowing who bred him, I think that the bull will breed true. What I saw in his calves that I liked so well was that they are extremely smooth sided & deep & parallel. By parallel, I mean the top and bottom lines run parallel to each other. Cattle like that don't usually have structural issues. By smooth sided, I mean that there really isn't a dip in behind the calves front shoulder or forerib, Therefore having more volume. Alot of the current hot clubbie lines are pinched in their forerib area. I do need to clean my cows up front. Any An bulls that you can recommend please feel free.  Cab.

pigguy

We are looking for bulls that are THF and PHAF, I have looked at northern improvement, and he looks like just the opposite of what im looking for. My maine heifer looks like OCC ledgend, with way more hair, more bone, and a little freakier fronted.. so he may be the best choice for her if he would slim the shoulders down some??

But for my other female, i still havent found one that i think will go good with her. She needs something with i bigger but and a smaller front. We were looking for something that was at least 3/4 maine. but  o well if i cant. thnaks a bunch to everyone

OH Breeder

maine12 said:
We are looking for bulls that are THF and PHAF, I have looked at northern improvement, and he looks like just the opposite of what im looking for. My maine heifer looks like OCC ledgend, with way more hair, more bone, and a little freakier fronted.. so he may be the best choice for her if he would slim the shoulders down some??

But for my other female, i still havent found one that i think will go good with her. She needs something with i bigger but and a smaller front. We were looking for something that was at least 3/4 maine. but  o well if i cant. thnaks a bunch to everyone

I am not sure what you are looking at with Northern Improvement, but you should be looking at the calves. Dr. Who will put more of a front end on them and is not "more feminine". Northern Improvement females are clean necked deeper bodied stylish females. He softs harder made females with the luxury of hair and pattern. His picture is not representative of his calves. I have never seen a short necked shallow made Northern Improvement. BUT hey that is just me. NOrthern Improvement will clean your heifer up. Shoulder and length of body- long spined cattle.
Hide n Watch is a who son that has been used successfully for calving ease. You also should have looked at Hartman's Catalog from last year, Major's Money had a great female that was also very feminie deeper bodied and sold 10K plus.
You may want to consider Dream On and 3C Macho as well. It seems that the Simmi's are really catching on. Both are calving ease and produce very desirable calves.

OH Breeder

DL said:
maine12 said:
so would you be confident using  mossy oak on a heifer that had a 55 lbs birth weight?

maine12 - PLEASE do your research - is your heifer PHAF? If not I would certainly NOT be confident using Mossy Oak on her. There are no guarantees - look for the best calving ease bull you can find to give you a live calf and a live heifer - a dead steer with a big butt is still a dead steer with a BIG BUTT

Please re read my post above. I had a Mossy Oak heifer which I bred to Northern Improvement, who had a calf that weighted 55#s at birth. I would NOT use Mossy Oak for heifers. My post may have been misinterpreted.

CAB

A lot of clubbie breeder's bred heifers last spring to Dirty Hairy. He's 3/4 blood clean Maine, and looks to have neck extension.

justme

I'm with the earliest post...Major's Money Man...I seen some nice steers also out of him at Major's.  They come out easy and you still have something left to work with.

Latest posts