First Defense capsules

Help Support Steer Planet:

BK

I have for the last 3 years if u have any problems with ur calves early on in their life ( 1 st month ) or so it should help .. It took care of some of the problems I had but u need to give it within the 1stcouplenhours after being born to work my calves usually get it after first time sucking ..

Till-Hill

Used them at dairy farm forever so my cows run with dairy heifers and made me nervous so I run them on all baby beef calves asap after birth that are born around the dairy heifers. Have yet in 8+ years to treat a scouring calf.

ejoe326

I was wondering about these as well.  We have a pretty solid routine but I am always looking to improve.

What kind of problems were you having BK?

What else are you giving? 

ejoe326

I should have asked a better question.

Were you using something else that was not as effective?  Did you see the First Defense stop an outbreak?

We struggled with a tough respiratory combo last year even though we treat all calves when they are born.  We did have tough weather so I can't say it was a failure in our routine.

firesweepranch

ejoe326 said:
I should have asked a better question.

Were you using something else that was not as effective?  Did you see the First Defense stop an outbreak?

We struggled with a tough respiratory combo last year even though we treat all calves when they are born.  We did have tough weather so I can't say it was a failure in our routine.

We use Nursemate ASAP, as recommended from many on here. It is about $7 a tube, and when we get it in the calves we have no scours. We like using it...

cpubarn

I tried those some time ago, but found this product easier to use.  So far so good, I've used it about 3 years.  I have basically 0 early scours.    It is one of those things that it is hard to determine how much good any of these products does without a study of it.  Don't like to leave calves unprotected trying to save $2.50 calf.

http://www.fourwindsangus.com/optimizercalfgel.html

I do have issues with coccidiosis later, but this gets them started for me...