First shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

JN Cattle Co.

First let me say that this is an excellent site with a tremendous amount of information, and a great potential for knowledge building. Rewind to last October 26. I had a 15 month old Maine/Angus cross heifer that I was going to breed. At the last minute, I decided on a Shorthorn bull name HR Vision. He is out of either 20/20 Vision, or Double Vision. (I am trying to acquire his pedigree) Throughout the gestation, I became worried because my heifer was not growing. I started going over scenarios of what could happen and how to prepare if that were to happen. I was worried because I bred a Shorthorn bull to a small frame heifer. Fast forward to last Saturday, August 2. At about 2:00, I put the soon to be mother in the calving barn, and about 4:30 her water broke. I was getting supplies ready, when I went to check on her, and to my suprise, I have a calf. All of my worrying was for nothing, because she popped this calf out with no problems. A heifer around 50 pounds. I am happy with the weight, compared to the potential nightmare that could have happended. I am guessing the birth weight can be attributed with the drought we are currently in. Attached are the pictures of the calf.

Joel M.

Attachments

• 08-07-08 011.jpg
    08-07-08 011.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 525
  • 08-07-08 014.jpg
    08-07-08 014.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 528
  • 08-07-08 017.jpg
    08-07-08 017.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 507

Dixie

Isn't it wonderful when good surprises happen? Congratulations!  <party> <party>

Dale

Wonder if a calf that light could be a twin?  Maybe the cow lost the other one and continued to carry this one.  Someone who usually had big birth weights, had a 38# heifer some years ago and thought there was another calf somewhere along the line.

OH Breeder

JN Cattle Co. said:
First let me say that this is an excellent site with a tremendous amount of information, and a great potential for knowledge building. Rewind to last October 26. I had a 15 month old Maine/Angus cross heifer that I was going to breed. At the last minute, I decided on a Shorthorn bull name HR Vision. He is out of either 20/20 Vision, or Double Vision. (I am trying to acquire his pedigree) Throughout the gestation, I became worried because my heifer was not growing. I started going over scenarios of what could happen and how to prepare if that were to happen. I was worried because I bred a Shorthorn bull to a small frame heifer. Fast forward to last Saturday, August 2. At about 2:00, I put the soon to be mother in the calving barn, and about 4:30 her water broke. I was getting supplies ready, when I went to check on her, and to my suprise, I have a calf. All of my worrying was for nothing, because she popped this calf out with no problems. A heifer around 50 pounds. I am happy with the weight, compared to the potential nightmare that could have happended. I am guessing the birth weight can be attributed with the drought we are currently in. Attached are the pictures of the calf.

Joel M.

I am not sure if this the bull.
http://search.shorthorn.org/

OH Breeder

Consider also the mothers EPD's. What is her breeding? The birthweight may well be accurate.