first time calving a heifer. *update*

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy814

I have only had cattle a little while and have never calved a heifer. I have one either due April 14 or May 4 depending on which cycle she was bred. She's looking close so she's in the barn and I'm keeping a close eye on her. I guess what I'm asking is what are signs calving is near. Her udder seems full, but I don't know how full is "full". And she is very hairy so seeing the ligaments relax is tough. What does that feel like when they truly relax?
I could get some pictures if that would help. Just would like some advice to be a little better prepared.

SimFarmer

The udder will look and feel tight and all teats too. Be careful not to mess with the udder to much because  the heifer may start kicking the calf when it nurses (know this from past experience and lesson learned). Also, the vulva will loosen and begin expelling mucus to prepare for calving. I never pay close attention to how loose the ligament are because the main things to watch are the udder, vulva, and the heifers behavior. If you are around her everday or so then you'll  probably be aware she is acting different.

hntwhitetail

Lots of times they will keep switching their tail and trying to rub their vulva against something.

cowpoke

You will be easy to tell which service she settled to by the obvious signs stated.Usually they wont eat,will seek a place away from herd and the first sign of impending birth is tail as many as 5 hours before labor.Once you see the waterbag on a heifer and if calf is positioned correctly  3 hours maximum with out intervention.If bred to an easy calving bull and heifer is not fat and has a pelvis that is adequate usually most can have them.If you think you have a problem and cant handle it your local vet or experienced cowman should be called.It takes same amount of time to deliver dead one and you will feel a lot better about your efforts.I just calved a heifer out a known easy calving bull recommended for heifers that weighed 98#s .As soon as feet were visablle I  knew she would need help and it was no problem just needed to help.Just had neighbor that calved his winning market heifer from last year and lost both.

shortybreeder

The rule of thumb with heifers is, there is no rule of thumb. Just keep an eye on her, and don't get too excited until you see something coming out. If you watch her like a hawk as soon as she shows a sign typical of a mature cow you might not leave her side for 2 weeks  (lol)

xxcc

Kinda like discussed above, and kinda like 'cowpoke' says...she'll be close when her 'business' is 'springing' and her bag is full. The main thing you will only know is when she has her water bag out, you will definitely KNOW she is calving. As was said, 3 hours without intervention....our rule is, 45 minutes and you better see if there is a problem. Another 45 minutes if she isn't showing progress(and you can't help her yourself), get a Vet coming...  So, yes, by the time the vet arrives, you might be knocking on 3 hours.

farmboy814

Well she calved April 11th early in the morning. Completely unassisted to an 80 lb. bull calf.

Attachments

• IMG_20150411_203041240.jpg
    IMG_20150411_203041240.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 1428800969167.jpg
    1428800969167.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 261

OH Breeder

Congratulations. NICE CALF TOO!
Its always nice when a heifer lays down on her own without any trouble. She hopefully will make a good cow for you. Heifers worry me every year. My family goes on heifer watch. We usually try to keep them in a group. Every 2-3 hours someone is out there.

farmboy814

Thanks OH Breeder. He's a spunky little guy too. The heifer is nothing short of excellent at being a mom.

farmboy814

thanks Larissa. He is out of our limangus herd ball and my shorthorn, charolais, simmental, angus heifer. So as about crossbred as it gets!