Fish Antibiotics?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OKshorthorn

I thought this might be an interesting topic.

I don't know that I would classify myself as a "prepper" but I have spent several nights thinking about "what if" in the past year since the birth of my first child. It by no means is extreme, but I have gathered a few things that I think could be useful in the event of a catastrophe. Being in rural Oklahoma, and growing up in the country, like many on here, I think we are better equipped than 90% of the population.

However, one thing that has consistently been on my mind is medicine. Specifically prescription antibiotics. As a group, I would guess that many of us could live off the land and provide for our families, but what happens when a child gets an ear infection? Or if you happen to get cut and with sanitation being far less than desirable in a survival situation, it becomes infected? I have come across fish antibiotics. I'm told and from what research I have done, they are legit. You can get everything from Amoxicillin to Doxycycline, in large quanties relatively inexpensive and without a prescription.

What are your thoughts? Would you use them? Would you stock some "just in case?"

obie105

I worked with a couple of older guys when I was in college that swore by animal antibiotics. They went to the vet before the doc for about anything human related too.

frostback

Expiration dates. That's about the only thing I can think of that hinders the collection of some things. You may want to learn how to make Penicillin.

OKshorthorn

frostback said:
Expiration dates. That's about the only thing I can think of that hinders the collection of some things. You may want to learn how to make Penicillin.

Most of them are 2-3 years, however there are a couple that have been proven by the military to be good for 5 years plus. My thinking is for 20-30 bucks, I can just throw away and replenish every couple years when they expire.

Gmc cattle

My buddy dad always goes to coop to get the fish stuff, as he calls it. Colds, ear infections, sinus, the man swears by it.

Latest posts