Fitting Advice Needed

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCC

I need some advice on procedure or show product to make the hind quarter hair stand out.  I have good hair, but it either lays flat down or if I use show foam and sheen it doesn't really pop out like some that I see.

austin

An option is probably good hard scrubbing which you probably know, but some other things you can try are adding a pinch of plain alcohol on show day, or even washer fluid as an alternative, but both give that "pop" that you really want. Just remember to wash it out after because it will dry the hair out.

Bullrider85

you need to burn it thats what my ag teacher does just do a few days before the show it appears to fill alot more

clipperlice

In reply to the foam and sheen.....Try working the hair with a wet rice brush every day.  Use a preparation that has alcohol in it to pop the hair up when you blow it in.  THEN you wont need the foam.  Skip the show sheen on show day if your hair is in good condition and finish it off with a light oil like pink oil.    If you do your hair homework at home, you wont even need the stuff to pop the hair.  Simply blowing pink oil into the hair in the direction you want and it will stay.  Too much sheen or oil defeats the purpose.

red

I use a rotobrush on the wet hair to help train it to lay right. I use the brush daily on leg hairs & then once a week on the entire body. Be very careful that you don't get the tail caught!  :-[
I also like Revive as a daily hair product.Really makes that hair pop! Spray & comb in after you've blow out the calf. Keep blowing & combing the hair. It takes a lot of work to get that hair to pop just right.
Also don't use soap everyday. I use it just once a week but try to rinish daily. I also use a hair conditioner daily.
Work, work & more work is the key to sucess! 8)
Good luck,
Red

I am new here! But, I think this site is great!

Anyway, on the "pop" of hair, foam is really outdated. I probably have not seen it used in years. If your calf has good hair, it will pop on it's own with a little oil. Some calve's hair is just difficult and it takes a lot of elbow grease with rice-root brush. Stick with it, and in my opinion....drop the foam.

;)

red

Thanks for the advice Morris Cattle Service. It's great to have some really professional advice on board! Welcome!! ;D
Red

genes

I put in another vote for pink oil on Showday.  It gives osme pop and makes them so shiny.  And regular use of revive at home.