Fitting and question on a chute.

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShortieShowGirl

so ive been working the hair on my county fair calves since they were tiny. i want to try fitting for our fair that is 3 weeks away and i was wondering if i could use adhesive on the legs and just comb up even though i havnt done it before? is it just gonna turn into a gluey clumpy mess? any tips for a first timer? thanks

also my steer somtimes freaks when i first put the hose on him. i have a clipping chute that i use to wash and groom but im scared hes gonna tip it over. he leaned on the side once and started to tip it. should i be worried? or not?

one more thing. is there such thing as too much rinsing? if i was to be rinseing my calves everyday somtimes twice a day is that too much? i wouldnt think so but ya never know.

ShortieShowGirl

oh and i dont know what all ill need, i dont have a blower at the moment tho. but i do have a grooming chute

rocknmranch

Adhesive is like hair spray.... Spray a little and work, bit more and work. Practice before hand. Make sure that the leg hairs are brushed as well as the body. Every inch of hair had to be worked. Very clean legs are very important with the adhesive, also depending on the amount of hair and length, some trimming to square them up might need to be done.

MKC Showcattle

I would have to agree ... if you are going to use adhesive for the first time I wouldnt make your first time using it at the fair. I would definetly practice using the adhesive a couple times before your fair! REMEMBER - - - - - -  Practice makes perfect!!  (thumbsup) Good Luck!  (clapping)

p.s. - - - remember to spray a little and comb, spray a little and comb 

CM Cattle

Any time i try something new i have a practice run at home. When you use adhesive be sure his hair is dry and use a little at a time and comb it till its where you want it, then when i get it where i want it  i put a lot on it just to be sure it holds.

The Show

There is no way to explain how to fit a calf in just a few words on the internet. You could seriously write a book on it. Anyways, I think there are some Angus Association videos on youtube that talk about fitting. I've also heard the stierwalt videos that sullivans sells are good. YOU NEED A BLOWER!!!! A blower is a must have although it's a little late to worry about getting one now, but you should really invest in one. Rinsing a calf twice a day isn't too much, I know people who rinse three or four times a day when it gets really hot down here. You need to be brushing your calf dry though and have him under fans for it to do anything. You need to practice fitting at home before you go though. I would recommend starting with Prime Time first because it's not as strong. Tail adhesive can turn into a train wreck pretty quick if you don't know what your doing. Just remember to spray a little and comb a lot and you can always add more glue. Oh, and calves can tip over trim chutes. I've seen it happen before and it's a wreck when they do, but you have to have a pretty crazy calf to flip a chute. Leaning to one side or the other is going to make the chute move a little, but it takes quite a bit for them to flip it.