Fitting red cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

squirt71

I have a PB Red Angus heifer this year, and I am having a hard time finding touch-up that matches her color.  I've tried using some of the red paints that Sullivan's has, both on their own and mixing them. What is the best way to fit the red cattle like this?  Do I just pull up the hair with prime time and let the legs look a little white from the glue?  Or is there something I can buy to spray on the leg?  I've heard of buying wood stain and using that, but didn't know if that really works or if it does, where to find it.

Here's a picture of the heifer.
41-6-1.jpg

showman ne

use auburn and black finisher or brown and black finisher. hold the black farther away you don't want as much of that to get on the calf

ROAD WARRIOR

I don't use the Sullivan paints - just regular spray paint. Leather brown, Walnut or a mixture of them and maybe some black depending on the animal. You must make sure youy get it washed out though. RW

OH Breeder

You can also take a sample of hair to Lowe's or Home Depot and have them try and computer match the color. They ahve a system that they use with paint chips. They can try and match the hair to mix right paint color.
Other thing suggest is to get all three colors from sullivans and mix the colors at home antil you find the right match.

BadgerFan

Red cattle must be clipped to a more natural appearance.  Don't take the joints down 'til they bleed.  Leave some hair on the topline.  Peel the head and neck a week or ten days before the show.  You don't really need to build legs on a good one.

The older I get, the more I like one that looks more natural.  The less paint the better in my opinion, even on black ones.

ROAD WARRIOR

There are so many different shades of red in R A cattle that you have to play with the colors a bit. Unfortunately Sullivans paints are geared more towards the Shorthorn colors. Badgerfan is right in the Reds are traditionally fitted to look more natural. In Denver there was some talk about banning paint and the process of building legs all togather in any assn. affiliated shows. I am guessing that it will be a topic in the next board meeting. RW

squirt71

ROAD WARRIOR said:
There are so many different shades of red in R A cattle that you have to play with the colors a bit. Unfortunately Sullivans paints are geared more towards the Shorthorn colors. Badgerfan is right in the Reds are traditionally fitted to look more natural. In Denver there was some talk about banning paint and the process of building legs all togather in any assn. affiliated shows. I am guessing that it will be a topic in the next board meeting. RW
That'd be nice if they do that.  We're thinking of taking some calves around to some of those shows next year as we're starting to get some showy calves out of our cows.  I haven't shown a Red Angus in a few years, and the last time I did, the judge criticized me on not having my heifer fit up (I had just barely pulled up legs), which is why I asked about paint. Thanks for the replies.

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Sure do agree with Badger. Been fitting since I was a kid and beleive me that was a long time ago. Nice to see that you've got your game on and getting a good match before it's too late. Head on down to Home Depot or Lowes and match it up from their collection of sprays. Now that I'm doing alot of judging I pay more attention to the ones that look fake, usually they are just that.

ROAD WARRIOR

I'm not saying that we have quit fitting in the  R A breed, we are just making them look alot more natural than some of the other breeds. RW

Hoosier

The best I've found to fit a red one is to pull the leg with Prime Time, then put a VERY LIGHT shot of Tail Adhesive on em.  Using a light coat of tail glue won't show up as much as you think, and can actually build a leg more than you think.  And from what I've noticed recently, a little discoloration on a red calf from tail adhesive doesn't bother most people, but a poor paint color matching job looks pretty bad.

Show Heifer

Is looking "more natural" mean a better fit job so it doesn't look so fake, or does that mean less actual fitting?  Big difference.

I have a fella help me that darn good at finding the "right color"..... he uses sullivans and a color he gets from Vittitoes.  He is traditionally a clubbie guy, so he has lots of experience building and covering legs.