Fitting your animal.

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

Hi again.
I was wondering if there were any good videos on like youtube that show you how to properly fit your animal.
Or can you tell me what you clip on beef cattle (steers) because on dairy feeders its their ears face and 2 strips under their belly and you cut that string hair off under their belly. and you square off their tail and thats really it oh you shave their tail to up to that mohawk <--- thats what i call it. on their switch.
So if you can tell me that would be awesome.

Farmboy2014

I learned how to do it by going to show camps that were held in our area.  I enjoyed watching Josh Elder.  Everyone has a different opinion though.

The Show

I would hire a fitter the first few times if I were you. I like that you want to learn, but I don't know that watching some videos is the best way to get your start in fitting. The best thing is if you can find someone to teach you. I hired fitters for years and would always watch them, and then I had somebody teach me. If somebody had the time to do it they could write a book on how to fit. Basically you shave their face, then clip the neck, shoulders, top, tail, hip, belly, and legs. The majority of it is done free handed, and there are tons of little ins & outs and personal touches that make it all flow together right.

wyatt

i would help you if you need it. im not taking a steer and the heifer show is at a differnt time, but if you look up kirk stierwalts fitting videos they might be on youtube... good luck

LindseysMaine_Angus

wyatt said:
i would help you if you need it. im not taking a steer and the heifer show is at a differnt time, but if you look up kirk stierwalts fitting videos they might be on youtube... good luck

Where are you located? I think there might be someone i know that lives by me.

wyatt

gladwin, michigan i think i read in your other post you were going to msu shows right? if you are i would probly have time to help you depending on when i have to show..

AAOK

Order the Dave Guyer tapes from Sullivan Show Supplies, and then start Grooming.
https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/tx/p-1106-dave-guyer-fitting-grooming-dvd.aspx

Dixie

If you send me a PM with contact info. I think I can set you up with someone that can help you out.

Dixie

LindseysMaine_Angus

wyatt said:
gladwin, michigan i think i read in your other post you were going to msu shows right? if you are i would probly have time to help you depending on when i have to show..

I am not for sure. probably not the winter classic. I am getting him saturday so
i wont have enough time.

OH Breeder

For the 4-H group I contacted Show Chow and ordered their videos for kids to watch on showing grooming care for your animals. I also bought Stierwalt videos and practice practice practice at home. That is the only way you will learn. i would not suggest clipping a week before a show if you have never done it yourself. I would make sure when you do clip you have plenty of time for it to grow back.