FJH Legacy

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

Just going through my semen inventory trying to make some decision on some of the donors for the next years flushes.  I have some Legacy in the tank and have never used it because I hate the certificate thing, does anyone remember what he breeds like or what kind of calves any of you had out of him?

red

I have a cow that has some of him in her. Can't say she's my favorite cow by far. Hard to bred, not the best calves & kind of ugly.
I'm like you, the certificate thing put me off on him.

Red

DL

Maybe you would be better off selling it!? Hartman's sent out a video when they first started promoting the bull - he was impressive as a mature bull (I think I still have it if you want a copy) but like you both the certificate thing really turned me off. Are you looking for show prospects with this flush??

Jill

Yes, that is really all we breed for, any suggestions?  What we have the most trouble with is breeding depth into our Maines, the donor base we have with one exception all need more guts and that just seems really hard to come by in the high % cattle.

Jill

I guess it would help if you knew what they were and what we have used, we are breeding to show calves.  Our donors are a Black Dice X Reflector and her daughter X Vegas.  We have used: Kadabra, Power Plus, Heat Wave, About Time, Legend, Anchor and Dr. Who. The best 2 we did were Final Answer but we had monkey mouth issues on a few, and Vegas but we are looking to a high % Maine bull.

The second donor is a Dr. Who X Majors cow that is a Stout X Gold Stream, she has plenty of depth, but she needs some power not enough behind her.  I added a picture of her from last April, she continued to body down, we bred her to Hard Core and she has a heifer calf that is a carbon copy of herself.  I love this cow, I just haven't quite figured out what I think will click on her.  We bred her this year to Open Bar, I like the bull and the breeders backing him are in business for the long haul so we gave him a try. 

Attachments

• PICT01921.jpg
    PICT01921.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 261

red

Beautiful cow Jill. I've had the best luck w/ Habanero on my high % Maines. The big red cow produced some outstanding calves w/ him. She did very well w/ Cowboy Cut too. she is out of a full brother to Black Dice so the breeding very similar.
I like Rowe's Currency for some depth & high %. Also clean on both defects. Really puts the hair out.

Red