Flies

Help Support Steer Planet:

stangs13

Air flow, fly spray, clean pens, clean animals! That gets it for us...My pen wont have any flys while everyone elses does, and they wonder why.

ShowmanQ

Take a sprayer and mix 1/3 diesel fuel and 2/3 water, spray it on the walls and watch the flies die. You can also mix it a little weaker if you have dogs that like to lick your barn walls like we do  (lol)

stangs13

ShowmanQ said:
Take a sprayer and mix 1/3 diesel fuel and 2/3 water, spray it on the walls and watch the flies die. You can also mix it a little weaker if you have dogs that like to lick your barn walls like we do  (lol)

Thats funny! :D

jackpotcattle

if you are just trying to get the flys off your cows mix permectin with some deisel fuel and spray them with it. The fuel helps it stick to the cows. In the barn you can mix it with either water or show sheen and use it that way it works awesome!

jbw

We have a sprayer/fogger that goes in the back of a truck. We have tried just about everything, have had the best luck with a product called ectiban, we mix it with water and either crop oil or I like a little purple oil. I've used deisel, it works ok but its to heavy if it is hot out, When its real hot I won't use any oil. Just some things we have had luck with.

LN

We spray our cows with pyrethroids (sp?)  and use a surfactant to make it stick. We did 1 cup surfactant/25 gal but it didn't stick very long last time so we'll probably up the surfactant next time we mix some spray.

vet tech

OqRanch!! This is what we do to control flies. We have used this meathod for the past 3 years and it has worked with tremendous results....its actually unbelievable. We used to have fly problems and the calves would get pink eye and all sorts of other problems....until we purchased these ear tags. They are designed to keep flies away and protect you animal. They are called "Avenger" ear/fly tags. I would recomend them to anybody who is having problems bc they flat out work. Put them in your cattle and....poof.... the flies are gone! You really really need to look into them! its a purchase you will not regret!

M Bar

What kind of flies do you have?  Where are the flies (in the barn, or on the cows in the pasture)?  If they are horn flies, you will be best served to feed a mineral with Altosid (Methoprene) in it.  Fly tags (mostly organophosphates) will decline in effectiveness over the summer and your flies in the fall will get low dosages, due to the fly tags weakening in strength.  The next year those flies can become organophosphate resistant.  Use a combination of the above mentioned means and make sure you feed a mineral with altosid added.  If you get the altosid, it is best when fed as a combination with CTC (aeromycin) to help control footrot/pinkeye.  If you skimp on quality mineral, (cheap) your cows may not consume it so you are wasting your time. 

OqRanch

Thanks!  Someone told me to check into a mister system to go in our steer barn & hog barn.  Has anyone had luck with those?

OqRanch

M Bar said:
What kind of flies do you have?  Where are the flies (in the barn, or on the cows in the pasture)?  If they are horn flies, you will be best served to feed a mineral with Altosid (Methoprene) in it.  Fly tags (mostly organophosphates) will decline in effectiveness over the summer and your flies in the fall will get low dosages, due to the fly tags weakening in strength.  The next year those flies can become organophosphate resistant.  Use a combination of the above mentioned means and make sure you feed a mineral with altosid added.  If you get the altosid, it is best when fed as a combination with CTC (aeromycin) to help control footrot/pinkeye.  If you skimp on quality mineral, (cheap) your cows may not consume it so you are wasting your time. 

We keep our animals and barns very clean, but the flies are mainly inside.  I've used flybait around the outside & flytraps inside along with regular cleaning.  I think they are horn flies, they bite.  We also get horse flies in the evening.

OqRanch

Where can I get a mister like you have?  Also, is it on a timer or do you have to go out and turn it on when you want to use it?

stangs13

Its on a timer with manual settings. Ours is from our feedstore...I think automist.com is the manufacturer. Its worth the money for sure...it comes in handy when the pigs come in!