Flushing a Cow- Anyone want to help me pick a bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Alright, we made the decision to flush my best cow, a Sonny x GS Touche.  She has had three calves: Two steers out of Kool, and one heifer out of Perfect Timing (Full Sib to X Ray).  The heifer is her latest calf is awesome, but could use more frame. The steers were both champions for me, but they could have used a little bit more frame too, as well as cleaner fronts.  I know that the Vision/Stuff lines work well with Trump lines, but I would like to get a little more maternal, a little less clubby set of calves out of this mating.  I still definately want to show them, but I'm not sure about what bull to use. 

Ideas:
Studer's Prince James
RB Eagle 148 
Sherwood's Red Vision  (I know, I know..Dbl Vision/Trump)
JM Vortec

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know, and keep in mind that adding hair is not an issue..the cow has the fuzziest ears I've ever seen...but she does shed off in summer..but I digress...The cow needs to be a little cleaner fronted and could use a tick more frame.  Thanks everyone!!

Doc

shortyjock89 said:
Alright, we made the decision to flush my best cow, a Sonny x GS Touche.  She has had three calves: Two steers out of Kool, and one heifer out of Perfect Timing (Full Sib to X Ray).  The heifer is her latest calf is awesome, but could use more frame. The steers were both champions for me, but they could have used a little bit more frame too, as well as cleaner fronts.  I know that the Vision/Stuff lines work well with Trump lines, but I would like to get a little more maternal, a little less clubby set of calves out of this mating.  I still definately want to show them, but I'm not sure about what bull to use. 

Ideas:
Studer's Prince James
RB Eagle 148 
Sherwood's Red Vision  (I know, I know..Dbl Vision/Trump)
JM Vortec

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know, and keep in mind that adding hair is not an issue..the cow has the fuzziest ears I've ever seen...but she does shed off in summer..but I digress...The cow needs to be a little cleaner fronted and could use a tick more frame.  Thanks everyone!!
I like the R Vision calves I've seen. I would be careful on the Eagle 148 , he makes some good cows, but he can mess up their back wheels. For an outcross you might think about some full Irish genetics. They will generally put a nice front end, right ones will add some frame & will definitely make some momma cows. E-mail if you want to go that route & don't have access to any. My two cents worth.

itk

I would put up some cash and buy some Pretender semen next weekend or maybe Charmer. The steers might not be great but I think they could add what you are looking for as far as females go. You might also think about Rodeo Drive or Rodeo Augustus. The Trump/Drive cross is timeless.

Doc

itk said:
I would put up some cash and buy some Pretender semen next weekend or maybe Charmer. The steers might not be great but I think they could add what you are looking for as far as females go. You might also think about Rodeo Drive or Rodeo Augustus. The Trump/Drive cross is timeless.
ITK, I'll agree with you on Charmer & Rodeo Drive. With Rodeo Augustus ,he was syndicated until "S" co bought him , don't know what they are going to do or be able to do. I don't think Pretender will add any frame. The RD semen will run $200-250 & I think Charmer semen went up.

yuppiecowboy

Two bulls shot to the front of my mind, Steermaker and WO Dividend 3J (leggs). It is apparent you have a clubbyish bred female and both of these will put a tick of stretch while complimenting the existing traits. Both Double clean.

afhm

Since she is bred like quite a few of  Sullivan's cattle, I would copy John and breed her the way(s) he does his.  Without a sale catalog in front of me I can't tell you what he uses but it clicks.  Other options to me would include Kaboom, Double Vision, Leader Plus, Just Right (get Shorts and mainetainers).

shortdawg

I've seen that Just Rite bull and he is a good rip. He would produce some interesting offspring out of your cow that could be shown and bred a number of different ways. The pic that has been in some of WHR's catalogs is not a good pic of him, he is much, much better in person. Call Bill Rasor up and ask him about him.

shorthorns r us

in the current state of the cattle industry, is adding frame an important selection criteria?  but if that is what you want to do, how about AF Warrior; he was big and thick and i think schrag has some juice.  Rodeo Drive fits that bill.  vortec will head that way for you.  someone else mentioned pretender; he is a popular choice right now.  if you can get your hands on some dfs gold, he would probably produce your desired results.

Malinda

Hey shortyjock89,

You might try a natural calf out of the bull you decide upon. Sometimes our best guesses work and sometimes they don't. With what it costs to flush, you might want to make sure she will work with bull x.

I have a cow right now with her second calf at side. She has been bred to two different bulls and has had nice calves out of both crosses. I have decided she is donor quality but I am going to breed for a natural calf the way I want to flush her, just to make sure.

Sounds like your cow is young, so you have time for a 'practice calf' first.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Malinda

Will

Malinda said:
Hey shortyjock89,

You might try a natural calf out of the bull you decide upon. Sometimes our best guesses work and sometimes they don't. With what it costs to flush, you might want to make sure she will work with bull x.

I have a cow right now with her second calf at side. She has been bred to two different bulls and has had nice calves out of both crosses. I have decided she is donor quality but I am going to breed for a natural calf the way I want to flush her, just to make sure.

Sounds like your cow is young, so you have time for a 'practice calf' first.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Malinda
Sounds like great advice. 

Show Heifer

Depends on the bull he chooses....RD at $250, Trump at $1500, Pretender $??, a "trial run" may not be possible due to cost and limited semen supply. If he chooses a cataloged bull, might be a plan. Heck, when I flushed my cow to 734, you can bet your cookies I didn't breed her for a natural calf by 734 first. I went with proven genetics and trusted my gut and my friends.

Doc

Show Heifer said:
Depends on the bull he chooses....RD at $250, Trump at $1500, Pretender $??, a "trial run" may not be possible due to cost and limited semen supply. If he chooses a cataloged bull, might be a plan. Heck, when I flushed my cow to 734, you can bet your cookies I didn't breed her for a natural calf by 734 first. I went with proven genetics and trusted my gut and my friends.
Showheifer, I've got to agree wiyh you. When you look at the big picture the cost is not that great. You just line up crosses that should work phenotypically and has worked with similar genetics and just go for it. I've done it several times and been very glad. ;D