Flushing a Dream ON Female - Sires?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

I have a Dream On x Miss Break K2 "Perfection"  first calf heifer that we would like to flush this spring.  Picture included.  We would like flush her for maternal prospects (cows).  My short list currently includes Hairy Bear, Maximus, Mama's Boy and Trademark (PB Sim).  Any other recommendations?  She is geek necked, nice bodied and good boned for a PB Sim.  Would like to add power and control her tail head with the mating.  Ideally to make club calf mommas.

Attachments

• perfection 003 shrunk.JPG
    perfection 003 shrunk.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 342

fluffer

Nice heifer!

I would suggest Hairy Bear, but if she were mine I would flush her to Angus.  Rockin D Ambush or something of that nature.  I know a lot of you are probably snickering right now, but that is what I would do  ;)

Good luck with her!  I really do like her.

Fluffer

OH Breeder

This is just my two cents. I wouldn't flush a heifer. There is no way of knowing if she will be a productive female. How will she milk and what traits will she pass on as a momma. And you have said "We would like flush her for maternal prospects (cows)." THat is confusing to me, if your goal is to produce cows, shouldn't you test her out as a cow first? ???

If I were to flush with those genetics for club calves- I would use Who Made Who. If you don't care about carriers- Irish WHiskey, Carney Man, (Go to Exposure sale Collings cattle company Great Heifers) Sunseeker.

fluffer

I do agree with OH Breeder.  Plus some may suggest it could effect her fertility down the road.  I always make sure my cows have atleast 1 calf before I flush them.  Plus you get an idea of what she will have. 

Flushing is expensive and I would hate to though a lot of money into a heifer and not get much out of her.

Fluffer

OH Breeder

3GCC said:
he said 1st calf heifer, so i would think that she allready had one.
Then it looks like need to clarify. First calf heifer as in she is preg with her first calf? Or she has had a calf? My point, if you are shooting for females, again my opinion doesn't mean much, you should have a female that you want to replicate because of her maternal abilities. Just because a heifer has won a bunch does not make her genetics desirable for a replacement female. To each there own, but, if I were to spend the money on flushing, I would want to make sure this female is truly a cow I want to have in my herd. Can you determine with one calf if a heifer is a great cow? Asking?

Dusty

Who Made Who...all the way.  Little light on BW, great necks, milk like a SOB.  Who makes some good females whether for clubbys or not.

P-F

If we are going to do a 2 year old we only flush her once and then re-breed her

We really pushed a couple a few years back and just ruined them.  Took over a year to get them re-bred.

Just my 2 cents but I would use a proven sire like DCC new look.  Or something else along that lines, their are many bulls out their that produce good females but crappy bulls.  And with the cost of ET even when using your own recip it is critical to get good calves, better calves than you would usually get from you other cows.  Anyway we just do proven matings anymore ones that we know will make good females and good bulls. 

With our costs we have found it cheaper to buy back our ET's rather than produce them ourselves.  It just costs so much to feed those recipes plus we really focus on selling bred females and cows, and those recipes are just tough to look at and we got tired of explaining to potential buyers that she is a recip.

Anyway I am blabbing on, my vote is for New Look, Or one of his brothers, or another powerhouse proven Angus bull

Chap

need to clarify.  She has just had her first calf.  The worlds most beautiful udder with plenty of milk. She is doing a great job with her first calf. Angus sired bull calf.  Her pedigree, phenotype, and attitude are all good enough to propigate her kind.  Thanks and sorry for the confusion

Bawndoh

I would reccomend Trademark.  He is the #1 choice for Dream On females.  She already appears to be very tight made, straight, clean, and wide based.  Trademark will produce a more loose/soggy made calf.  If you get a heifer off of Trademark, I would breed the heifer to a clubby bull.  This female is too tightly made to be bred to another tightly made sire.  You will end up with a gutless mess.

HVNR

Trademark is a good choice. He is at the top of the list for our Dream On genetics as well.

kanshow

Good looking thick heifer.   What is she bred to this year? Who is her MGS?  Guessing it's Lucky Break.   

Trademark is a good choice.     

ETA.. also Power Stroke

shortyisqueen

Chap,
I just LOVE this heifer. She's not tight wound, she just doesn't have a whole bunch of waste in her bottom third. I bet she could raise a steer with a pretty good carcass when you were done showing him. It would be great to see an updated picture of her milking. Congrats on a good one!  :)

Chap

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  The picture of her is at 12 months in the keeper pen.  Shortly after the photo was taken, we bought her from Schicks and showed her one time at the county fair, where she was champion simmental female.  I don't think we will go simmental back on her.  I do like the looks of the couple of DCC New Look calves I have seen. so his sibs are in the mix as well.  IMO, if you get critical of her, you would give her more forerib (she has plenty of center body) and straighten up her top line.  she can appear to be high in the center of her spine and flat in her loin.  which in turn makes her look high in her tail head setting.  If I could find some 9FB3 or 6807 I would contemplate them as well.  Keep the suggestions coming, I have about 60 days to decide.

P-F

We have had a lot of luck this year with OCC Doctor a Fullback son out of the great 1019 cow
he is more consistent in adding bone and show calf look than Fullback himself

We are going to use a lot more of him this year

OH Breeder

Sek is carrying DCC First Look, the power plus sale had some great looking calves with this line. I also keep thinking Jazz or Pale Face would work on her. JMO

RSC

P-F said:
If we are going to do a 2 year old we only flush her once and then re-breed her

We really pushed a couple a few years back and just ruined them.  Took over a year to get them re-bred.

Just my 2 cents but I would use a proven sire like DCC new look.  Or something else along that lines, their are many bulls out their that produce good females but crappy bulls.  And with the cost of ET even when using your own recip it is critical to get good calves, better calves than you would usually get from you other cows.  Anyway we just do proven matings anymore ones that we know will make good females and good bulls. 

With our costs we have found it cheaper to buy back our ET's rather than produce them ourselves.  It just costs so much to feed those recipes plus we really focus on selling bred females and cows, and those recipes are just tough to look at and we got tired of explaining to potential buyers that she is a recip.

Anyway I am blabbing on, my vote is for New Look, Or one of his brothers, or another powerhouse proven Angus bull
DCC New Look is a great option to get  clubby females.  His semen might be a little costly,  We used his full Brother Duffs New Edition this year and the handful we have look to have the same qualities and consitancy as New Look.

I also like the Hairy Bear option and another bull to think about is Carneyman.

Pictured below is a New Editon Heifer out of a 3/4 blood Blaze Faced commercial simi.

RSC

Attachments

• 08 Calf Pictures Dads New Edition HFR.jpg
    08 Calf Pictures Dads New Edition HFR.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 466