Flushing Cow: Who to Use? Sunseeker or WMW? Photo Added of Cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

cotullaguy

I am flushing a very good Meyer Granddaughter that weights about 1600 lbs or so full.    Good fronted, square, big hipped.  Want to get steers and good heifers as well.  Which bull would work better: SUNSEEKER or WMW?  or another suggestion?  Am considering a WMW son from a friend here in SP.  Thought I would use the brain trust on here to get ideas.     (pop)

cotullaguy

ps. I have never used either bull and am only thinking of using those bulls due to comments I have seen here on Sunseeker.

Downtown Pete

I would make sure the cow I was using on sunseeker was pretty nice fronted.  Would also flush him to a cow that is a little shorter, squatier type of cow with a lot of guts.  My experience with him is he adds bone, thickness, and hair.  I would just make sure there is no structure issues on the cow.  The calves seem like to me they get a little plainer fronted as they get older

advocate

If your flushin her she's probably had a couple good enough to warrant flushing her so what were they out of because that's what I would use

cotullaguy

advocate said:
If your flushin her she's probably had a couple good enough to warrant flushing her so what were they out of because that's what I would use

we have a very nice Carnac Steer right now...we will flush her multiple times probably and may be to Carnac.  but, we also want to raise some female flushes that also can sell some steers...I am only in the considering stage now.  I have heard WMW can have structure problems and heard that Sunseekers fall apart at 850 lbs....just what some say...

vet tech

How about Dr.Who? And I would go the WMW route before the sunseeker route.

Bulldaddy

Who Made Who works good on Simmi crosses and the females are worth as much as the steers.  They can sometimes be straight so you need to make sure your cow has angulation front and rear.  If she is real straight use another bull. 

jbw

I personally would not use who. It is gonna take to long to breed the whohip out of them, he is not consistant enough to waste money on flushing. Now before you string me up, I have seen some tremendous female, but WAAAAY to many structural misfits. JMO

I think the sunseekers are gonna make great females, AND I think you could try Monopoly! <beer>

When I think of a maternal bull I think of SOS, Nutt-n-butt, ect. OR a real good straight bred or purebred. ex. Raptor, Northern Improvement, G. Joe ect. I feel their are some RA cattle that are sure worth investigating as well.  I believe that is the best way to maintain consistancy. again jmo

cotullaguy

Bulldaddy said:
Who Made Who works good on Simmi crosses and the females are worth as much as the steers.  They can sometimes be straight so you need to make sure your cow has angulation front and rear.  If she is real straight use another bull.   

she just had a nice Carnac Bull calf.  He seemed straight at first and then got over it...he is about 3 weeks old now..is wmw straighter than carnac?  here is the photo of her prior to her calving this month.

Attachments

• cow meyer granddaughter.jpg
    cow meyer granddaughter.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 518

Bulldaddy

I can't say about Carnac...never used him but your cow looks a lot like a SimAngus cow by Emblazon that I just flushed to WMW.  He will put a nice long front end on them and the females will be worth keeping.  I would use who.

bjkoller

any pics of that Carnac calf?  How'd he come? BW? Gonna use him on some cows that are built similar in appearnce to yours!

cotullaguy

3G Farms said:
any pics of that Carnac calf?  How'd he come? BW? Gonna use him on some cows that are built similar in appearnce to yours!

here he is....just a few days old here...he does look much better now...

Attachments

• carnac by meyer.jpg
    carnac by meyer.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 533

AStar

Your cow is interesting. I like her but she looks to be very pinched in the heart, you need to find a bull with a lot of fore rib. I think her and sunseeker would make a trashy fronted hard made one. You might consider Headliner.

cotullaguy

AStar said:
Your cow is interesting. I like her but she looks to be very pinched in the heart, you need to find a bull with a lot of fore rib. I think her and sunseeker would make a trashy fronted hard made one. You might consider Headliner.

she looks that way due to this photo was taken about 2 days before she calved....but, yes Headliner may be the answer for her....the carnac calf is getting better by the day...

cotullaguy

thus far I like the wmw and headliner suggestions the best...i am considering a bull called Verizon...a Chad Burrough bull...