Flushing cow with sexed semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

blinker

If you flush a cow with sexed semen will you get all the same or does the cow have any influence on the sex of the calf???

jbzdad

I know cowboy will answer this better than me but I will give it a shot... usually chromosomes are paired, but by a process known as meiosis gametes are formed which only have one of each chromosome...eggs and sperm... these unite and ultimately form an embryo... both males and females carry sex chromosomes... female chromosomes are XX and males are XY ... when meiosis occurs the female must produce a x chromosome while the male can produce either X or Y...
        SO FAR sexed semen is formed by "knocking out"most of the the Y containing gametes.. thus the resulting embryos are XX ....

I am sure the embryologist are working on being able to knock out the X gametes and also are working on sorting embryos for XX vs XY... wouldn't it be nice to only implant heat wave bull embryos

TJ

Keep in mind that sexed semen is not 100% effective.  It's more like 90+%.  I know somebody who flushed with it & ended up with 6 or so heifers & a bull.