Flushing Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

john91

I bought a really nice young bred cow in a bred female sale a few weeks ago. I bought her in hopes of making her a donor, however I would still like for her to have a natural every year. She is due March 1. I would like to breed her back for an early April calf. So my question is could I flush her in late may or early june and still get her bred back around june 20-25  for a natural calf or is this working her to hard. We have never flushed any cows before but this one is donor quality.

SSIMMENTALS

Our embryologist has always advised us to breed them on their 2nd heat after flushing. I think you can get her bred, but it will be a few weeks later than you are hoping for. It's healthy for her body to get pregnant and have a baby, so I don't think you'd be working her too hard.

john91

Whats the soonest I could flush her after she calves? 2 months?

Cowboy

As a rule of thunb, I always tell my people that we need to use thier second natural heat after calving for scheduling a flush. I will take you 23 days from that heat to flush day. In your case, a cow calving on 3-1 would in theory flush no sooner than mid May, about 75 days out if all goes normal. Using your second heat after the flush, you would breed her approximately 6-20 or so, possibly give or take a week. This is assuming you do NOT try and induce or sync her in any way - meaning do not induce a heat after the flush and let her go natural.

This would be a normal average time frame for you -- so yes, you can get her flushed and bred back easily the same year with no damage!

Good luck with your venture!

Terry

SSIMMENTALS

with us it's 60 days or work her off  her 2nd heat. Whichever comes later. Others can probably give you better info; just what we do.  Cowboy: you beat me typing. I'm glad that what I have been doing is what you are advising  ;D

dfm

Another possible option is to utilize IVR. You can breed your donor then after 20 days begin to flush I believe up to every 2 weeks post breeding up to 100 days of preg.

KTM

We typically flush between 45 and 60 days after calving (leaning towards the 60 day end) with no issues and have bred back the very next natural heat. Don't know that this is typical but it works for us.

GKE Cattle

You are being very realilistic about your breeding and timing on your cow.  Especially if you are willing to give up 30 days on her calving interval.  As long as she has a no issue birth and you maybe pamper her alittle bit.  You plan on the expence of the flush and the extra work,,and you have a young cow nursing a calf,,,it would be pretty cheap to feed her some extra grain to help her get back into shape and be more receptive to cycle and produce eggs.  Cows that are gaining about a pound of body weight a day breed back better and cycle better than ones that are going the other way.  She is going to be a donor,, treat her like one!!

Latest posts