Fly control in barn - help!

Help Support Steer Planet:

4Rcattle

We live in Texas and the flies are AWFUL in our barn. I know they are attracted to feed and manure but both of those things are unavoidable when raising livestock. We clean stalls and dump the poop everyday - granted, the manure is dumped outside of our barn, probable 100 yards away or so (we use a wheel barrow so we can't go very far). I've tried fly traps, sprays, fly predators, bait, etc and nothing helps - there are so many of them!! Is this something I can call a pest control company to help with? I'm looking for any and all advice that anyone has. I have visited a few other places and their barns do not have near the amount of flies that we do - I've asked what they do, I try it, and it doesn't work. I know it's about to cool off and that will help but I still would like to figure this out once and for all!

shortybreeder

You'll never get rid of all of them, but the key is to set traps/bait/etc. before fly season takes off in the spring. Once they start to peak in the summer, it's impossible to get ahead without help from mother nature.

Tallcool1

Dark.  If you want to keep flies away, make it dark in the barn.

Flies don't like the dark.

You will still have flies, but they won't be on your cattle if they are in the dark.

jconner2088

We are in central texas, so this cold snap helps us out but also we have so many fans that its tough for flys to stick around. and we use cedar fiber and with all that combined our fly problems are very minimal.

4Rcattle

We have plenty of fans and use cedar shavings as well. Our barn is pretty open, to help with ventilation but we don't keep lights on or anything. There's really no way to have it completely dark because of how open it is.

jconner2088

Sorry we also spray down all our bedding down with Permethrin. We have even used a fogger in the past. I mean i am not saying we have no flys but it is not like we walk into the barn and you have to keep your mouth shut.

looking4champions

Fly traps do help alot. I use the type that you mix the packet with water and out in the container.  The key is to put them close to te ground.  The sticky fly traps work took. They work real well.  The fly bait in the can called Golden Marlin and the similar ones by the same manufacturer help.  I sprinkle it outside of the stalls.  Flies have an incubation and hatch period.  The key is to stay ahead of them.  You can buy a certain insect larvae that feeds on the fly eggs from either ValleyVet or Jeffers.  They will help you figure how much of the larvae you need and establish a regimen. I also keep spray on fly control in a spray bottle that I spray on the steers' head, topline and front shoulders.  I spray them every other day or so with that.  Tallcool1 is right as well.  They love sunlight.  I keep close the barn doors to block the sun and that helps.