Fly Predators

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

i use them in combo with dust, sticky traps and scent traps.  they seem to work real well.  the best suggestion i've seen so far is to put the eggs in a paper sack (after appropriate hatching point) hanging on something near the area where the pooh is so they don't get eaten by birds and other things.

i "feel" they work real well.  i'm close to neighbors and the flyies are early this year, going to start predators tomorrow actually.

DL

yes - for over a decade - they work great with a few caveats -

need to keep manure / wet to a minimum
need to use as part of a total strategy
I use in combo with Quick Bait, rabon blocks, Sabre on cows
need to get them before fly season starts
don't expect a miracle in the first year
have not had a problem with critters eating them - spread them around like Johnny Appleseed but the CA birds are perhaps more hungry?

LazyGLowlines

We use them also, I suggested using bags and hanging them because we have a lot of free range chickens. We also have guinea hens and they are real wanderers and eat anything that looks like a bug or a larvae. Thing is they work great and have eliminated our fly problem when used in conjunction with another product such as dust bags. We have water troughs in every paddock and we put up panels and a gate for the cattle to pass through and hang dust bags in the gates.

TJ

I've never used them, but I know people who have & swear by them.  Here is a link to a blog article about Fly Predators...

http://www.easternlowline.com/16601.html

Under recent entries on the right hand side of the page, click on "Fly Predators by Margie Banse".  Currently, it's the 3rd entry on the list.  BTW, Margie raises meat chickens, so I would think that Chickens & Fly Predators do work together OK.  Interesting read...