Foamy bloat?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SimmiKT:]

My steer has been bloating up the past two weeks, horribly. We called the vet and we explained what has been going on and he said it was foamy bloat? He gave us these capsules to put in his feed for the next few days or so and then he said to not feed him for 2 weeks after this? I would really like your opinions on this and about foamy bloat? I have never had any of my cows I have had these past few years do this and I would like to know about it.

cowman 52

Foamy bloat-- the gas in the stomach is more like the foam on top of the beer-  the gas is inbubbles-- have seen gas-x from the drug store work-  need to ck what in the feed is causing the bubbles--  baking soda works sometime-  probiotics will help  sure will not hurt-  is he bloating on hay-  either a lot of hay or no hay at all-- suspect you got therabloat from the vet-- a snmall bottle about the size of whiteout??  mainly stomach is out of kilter-- have seen taking away the grain-- feeding a good bit of hay and gradually working back to grain--  if he just started this maybe grain from bottom of bin may have a touch of mold--  look for what has changed and you will find  probably the cause

We have tooken the feed away from him this past week and it hasnt seemed to work. What he gave us was some capsules to pour in his feed. The vet seems to think its from our feed since its so fine. Thank you!

Show Steaks

we had a problem in the feedlot last year with the DDG's causing the bloat. alot of old farmers swear by EXCERCISE to help with bloat prevention. maybe a nice long walk through some hills will help, i'd just turn him out in the pasture with the cows for a little while till his system straightens up

We tried that the first day he bloated, we just about walked him for 4 hours and it went away for about a day then just came right back. Hes looking better today, maybe the capsules the vet gave me will work.

jbw

Had this problem once.  My vet had me put cheap laundry detergent in the water, it breaks the foam.

Jenny

or to get the bloat down within minutes, you drench the calf with a 1/2 c. of laundry detergent; can mix it is water to make it more liquid
to drench, you can put a hose down into their rumen and pour it down directly into the stomach or you can put the soap into a long necked container, catch the calf in a headgate and put the bottle as far down into their mouth as possible so they have to swallow the liquid soap.

works dramatically on foamy bloat.