Football conference power rankings

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakview

With all the talk of conference realignment, I couldn't help but notice a lot of partisanship regarding which team and/or conference is better.  Since football (money) is the driving force behind the shakeup, I thought it would be fun to list the conference football power rankings for the last 5 and 10 years.  I assigned 1 point to the conference ranking first in a given year, 2 to the conference ranking 2nd, etc., and gave 10 points to the conference if it was not ranked in the top 7 for that year.  The top 3 were ranked in the same order for both time periods:  1) SEC-28 points 2) Pac 10-29 points 3) Big 12-34 points.  The ACC was ranked 4th in the 10 year period with 40 points and 5th over the past 5 years.  The Big East was ranked 5th over the last 10 with 42 points years and 4th when just looking at the past 5 years.  The Big 10 came in 6th in both time periods, 46 points in the 10 year period, and the MWC was 7th with 74 points.  I will admit the Pac 10 fared better than I thought it would.  The SEC has been a clear winner over the past 5 years according to the rankings.  Kind of interesting.

Stihlpro

Living on the West Coast I am not surprised at all.  IMO The West Coast teams really get less respect whether it be college or pro's.  Are they always powerhouses....no.... but can they holde their own........ Most definitely.  I was in Florida a few years ago and tried to get on a National Football talk show.  They called on me 3 times and ignored my questions/comments about west coast teams.  During a break the producer told me that if my question was about an east coast team (more importantly the giants, jets, steelers, or redskins) or the Cowboys they would be more than happy to answer.  If not to please stop raising my hand.

forcheyhawk

Just curious, what source did you use for Conference Power Rankings?  I'm looking at the final 2009 Sagarin rankings and I haven't done a great deal of research on this but it doesn't look like the Pac 10 would even begin to figure in off of those.

oakview

I googled college football conference power rankings and used Marsee's Football Page (2nd on my list of options) because it was the only one that had a 10 year (and more) history that was easily found.  Of course it is all subject to debate, but I think interesting.  Sagarin's rankings often leave me scratching my head.  The Pac-10 probably doesn't get as much publicity because their games aren't even at halftime when the east coast types go to bed.  Even I have a hard time staying up until midnight to watch Oregon State play Stanford.

forcheyhawk

Not sure I would use the Marsee Power Rankings.  I quickly glanced at how he had teams ranked (which I think would go into conference power rankings as well) and he had Georgia Tech #10 and Iowa #18.  Iowa beat Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.  I couldn't find on his web page where he was listing a formula, but just glancing over them whatever formula he's using doesn't like the Big 10 at all.  I'd have to see a formula before I put any weight into saying which conference is better and even then it's subjective unless you have a head to head game.  I agree with you though it's fun to discuss.

GONEWEST

forcheyhawk said:
Not sure I would use the Marsee Power Rankings.  I quickly glanced at how he had teams ranked (which I think would go into conference power rankings as well) and he had Georgia Tech #10 and Iowa #18.  Iowa beat Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.  I couldn't find on his web page where he was listing a formula, but just glancing over them whatever formula he's using doesn't like the Big 10 at all.  I'd have to see a formula before I put any weight into saying which conference is better and even then it's subjective unless you have a head to head game.  I agree with you though it's fun to discuss.

I assure you, GA Tech is not the 10th best team in the city of Atlanta, much less the nation.

Stihlpro

oakview said:
I googled college football conference power rankings and used Marsee's Football Page (2nd on my list of options) because it was the only one that had a 10 year (and more) history that was easily found.  Of course it is all subject to debate, but I think interesting.  Sagarin's rankings often leave me scratching my head.  The Pac-10 probably doesn't get as much publicity because their games aren't even at halftime when the east coast types go to bed.  Even I have a hard time staying up until midnight to watch Oregon State play Stanford.

The time difference has got to really mess with you for Monday Night Football!

oakview

I'll stay up till whatever to watch the Packers, but I would not have much interest in Oregon State.

Stihlpro

oakview said:
I'll stay up till whatever to watch the Packers, but I would not have much interest in Oregon State.

LOL!  My Dad would be in the same boat.  He has wanted to watch a Packers game in Green Bay since he was a kid.  When he retires in a few years my brother and I are gonna do whatever we can to try and make that happen.  He'll think he died and went to heaven. 

oakview

Three and a half years ago, with a little help from friends, I surprised my brother with a trip to Green Bay.  My son, son in law, brother and his two sons, and I made the trip.  Memories that will last a lifetime.  To hear my brother just say 'Wow!" when we entered the stadium is something I will never forget.  Take your dad.  Easy to get to, tickets available on eBay, you'll never regret it.