$$$ for leasing a bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

There is a guy in our area, with just a few cows, that wants to "lease" our bull for a short period of time to get them bred. What is the going rate for this type of deal?

ShowmanQ

brandisshortys said:
It really all depends on the genetics and age of the bull.

The bull is a registered Shorthorn. Reg # is *x4114815.  A Trump X Augusta Pride 3127 grandson. He is a 3 year old.  I really don't want to over charge this person, but feel that I need to get something out of the deal. I think $1,000 is kind of high for breeding 3-4 cows. Any other thoughts?

shortyjock89

We've paid anywhere from $25-$80 to use someone's bull to breed a couple cows, or get a heifer bred at a show.  We would charge right at about $50 for someone to hand breed to our bull I think.

oakview

Years ago I leased Highfield Parkler 104 (full Irish son of Leader 18th) from Lazy D for $25/calf plus I purchased insurance to cover loss for a certain value.  I would imagine $50 today would not be out of line for a run of the mill registered bull.  Price also can be influenced by your relationship with the people.  I have certain friends I let 'borrow' a bull for a foot long coney, order of fries, and a cherry Coke at the State Fair.  I have a neighbor that has purchased some females from us over the years and he just brings his few head over and turns them out in the pasture.  He pays me a nominal fee for feed and care.  Lots of things to consider, are they friends and you want to help them out or is this strictly a business proposition?  It doesn't hurt to be nice, you never know when you might be the one in need.

justintime

Lease prices can vary all over the map.I agree with oakview, in that it may depend on the relationship you have with a friend or neighbour.  It may be very worthwhile, to be reasonable if it is a neighbour who you want to have a good relationship with.

The person with only a handfull of cows is in a real dilemma as it is not really cost effective for them to purchase a bull, as well as maintain them for the entire year.

I used to lease a few bulls but I found there was too much variation in how they came back and some were so thin that it was hard to get them back in shape to even send them to market, let alone sell them as two year olds. I do lease one bull out each year, to a neighbour, and I get the use of his Bobcat any time I want it during the year. He has 8-10 cows and usually the bull comes  back in better shape than he left here. This works well for each of us. We have an arrangement that if someone comes along and wants to buy the bull I am keeping for him, that I sell it, but I also pull some of my own bulls in late July, so has agreed to use one of them.

I know another family provide a bull to a neighbour for some baling, or backhoe work, and again, the bull is only exposed to a few cows. I know of another situation where a bull is supplied for the use of a 5th wheel camper is provided for 10 days.
I do not think in this day of everything costing a lot of money, that $50. cow is unreasonable. You can maybe drop that a little if they agree to keep the bull for a few weeks after they are done using him and feed him a little grain to regain his condition. There are lots of options.

kanshow

I just think it needs to be a situation that works for both of you. 

Years ago, my dad got a call from a kid who had worked for him a few years before.  He was trying to raise show cattle and needed a place to pasture a bull & wanted to know if Dad had a pen & how much he'd charge.    As it happened..  Dad had a little pasture with about 10 cows in it and was looking for a bull to run with them.  So...the bull got a place to stay & Dad got a bull to use. 

yousesteers

I would say just work with them if you are done for the year with him and they will feed and care for him properly I would consider letting them have him at no charge that is just 30 to 60 days that you dont have to feed him if you feed him I used a guys bull one time and just dry lotted him when doen and fed him hay all winter by himself he ate 4 or 5 bales wasted as much as he atebut was still cheaper for me than buying a bull see what the neighbor has in mind

OH Breeder

ShowmanQ said:
There is a guy in our area, with just a few cows, that wants to "lease" our bull for a short period of time to get them bred. What is the going rate for this type of deal?

We leased a Cunia son and paid 500 for the season. We have a dozen cows and it was pretty fair deal. We got 4 calves from clean up bull. It was well worth the money.

ShowmanQ

Thanks for all the input. I talked to the guy tonight, and it seems that he only has 2-3 that are going to need bred. He has some killer hay and is willing to give us 50 squares for letting the bull run for 45ish days. I think that will work well enough (clapping)

Joe Boy

I have a neighbor that has leased some of the top club calf bulls in the country to clean up and he has paid $10,000 for 3 months.

Commercial bulls are leased around here for $300 per month plus insurance.