For Red and Shortdawg

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Shortdawg- Red thought you might enjoy the picture. THis is my new heifer calf. She is out of a Direct Hit x Mr. Corrector cow and Elbee Leader "Gizmo". THick little bugger. Think she will make a nice market heifer.

Attachments

• Fergi's Baby Front 2.jpg
    Fergi's Baby Front 2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 458
  • Fergi's Baby Rear.jpg
    Fergi's Baby Rear.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 456

red

Wow OH,  that is one nice heifer. Great bone & hair!!
Can't wait to see how she looks in 6 months!
thanks,
Red

genes

Wow very nice....she already has a look about her.  Thanks for sharing the picture.

OH Breeder

genes said:
Wow very nice....she already has a look about her.  Thanks for sharing the picture.
Thank you. I hppe, this is out of a first calf heifer. She is an outstanding mother thus far.

garybob

Dude, Where's her cannon bone? I'm all for easy-keepin' stuff, but, dang, She might be too small. She's the extreme opposite of raw-boned and high-maintenance, that's for sure. Keep us posted as she develops. Hope I'm proven wrong.  Respectfully, yet without apology, Gary Bob.

OH Breeder

garybob said:
Dude, Where's her cannon bone? I'm all for easy-keepin' stuff, but, dang, She might be too small. She's the extreme opposite of raw-boned and high-maintenance, that's for sure. Keep us posted as she develops. Hope I'm proven wrong.  Respectfully, yet without apology, Gary Bob.
Well is is all of a few days old. Pictured is mother who has developed into a super two yr. old. Most of the cows I have are 5 to 6 frame score. Weighing anywhere from 1200 to 1800#'s. I am not worried about her. She is just getting started. No apologies needed "bob".

Attachments

• Heart of All Fergy2.jpg
    Heart of All Fergy2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 394
  • Elbee Leader C087.doc
    56.5 KB · Views: 225

genes

That just reminded me of the pictures you see from the 50 where they have the cows in straw up to their bellies., to accentuate the fact that they have no legs.  I wouldn't worry that this calf is quite at that point...

OH Breeder

genes said:
That just reminded me of the pictures you see from the 50 where they have the cows in straw up to their bellies., to accentuate the fact that they have no legs.  I wouldn't worry that this calf is quite at that point...
Thanks for the post Genes. I like the fact my cows throw them small and they grow like weeds. Last years calves weaned at 6 months weight between 750 and 815#'s. At just about a year steers were 52" and 1285 or so. I grain year round with free choice hay. To date, we haven't raised any stump's.  ;)There is quiet a bit of straw because the temps have been quiet drastic.My farm is in the same neighborhood as Red's.

red

Remember OH B & I come from grain country. Lots of good feedstuffs & hay available. We do probably raise a different type of cattle than Gary or some others. Also need to meet market demands. Right now that little girl is what the market out here is looking for.
My big red Maines don't always produce what the market wants for show cattle but I feel in the long run, we're ahead w/ good functional cows that can raise calves.
Red

shortdawg

That's a really nice heifer. I would be proud of her. By the way , I saw one of the first Primo calves today and she was nice.

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
That's a really nice heifer. I would be proud of her. By the way , I saw one of the first Primo calves today and she was nice.
I have some Primo eggs x Red Rider's drive. I am was waiting to see what the calves were looking like. What was the calf out of shortdawg? Can you elaborate?
Thanks
OH B

shortdawg

Me and a friend of mine split a semen interest in Primo and he used him pretty heavy in his herd this past year. The calf is a heifer out of a Eskimo Joe/ Missy Ruth first calf heifer ( BW 82 ). If you've ever seen the King Kong calves she is colored kind of like those. The mostly white frosty colored with a little red mixed in here and there. She is only a week or so old but I think she has a good bit of promise.

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
Me and a friend of mine split a semen interest in Primo and he used him pretty heavy in his herd this past year. The calf is a heifer out of a Eskimo Joe/ Missy Ruth first calf heifer ( BW 82 ). If you've ever seen the King Kong calves she is colored kind of like those. The mostly white frosty colored with a little red mixed in here and there. She is only a week or so old but I think she has a good bit of promise.
Would love to see a picture when and if you get a chance. I will see flush mates to my eggs this spring. I am kind of anxious. So, you had no problems using him on a heifer. That sounds great.

shortdawg

If I get a pic of the heifer , I'll forward it. I'm not going to say he is a heifer bull but this one was born unassisted. The Eskimo Joe daughter is what I would call moderate in frame and had no problems.

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
If I get a pic of the heifer , I'll forward it. I'm not going to say he is a heifer bull but this one was born unassisted. The Eskimo Joe daughter is what I would call moderate in frame and had no problems.
Thanks I would really appreciate it.

ELBEE

Gary Bob, I thought the term (cannon bone) had been banned from the beef industry! Maybe you can tell us what the ideal measurement of a baby heifers "cannon bone" should be? Then OH Breeder can measure and compare, and then we'll Know for sure what kind of a "dink" she'll really be.

Lee Bigham

red

ELBEE said:
Gary Bob, I thought the term (cannon bone) had been banned from the beef industry! Maybe you can tell us what the ideal measurement of a baby heifers "cannon bone" should be? Then OH Breeder can measure and compare, and then we'll Know for sure what kind of a "dink" she'll really be.

Lee Bigham

I know that Gene Rowe still uses the term cannon bone. He looked at it on one of my heifer's last year to detirmine the amount of growth potential.
I am curious what it should be on a newborn though!

Red

ELBEE

Yes Red I still use the term, and it's one of the first things I look at when evaluating. But you'd be surprised how many of these kids don't even Know where it is. When I was judging, if you didn't use the term at least 5 times in your reasons, you weren't going to score very high.

garybob

Here, as Red has said, it is probably a way different market for feeder calves. Consequently, I have a different view point than many of the active  visitors to this forum. Most Arkansas calves go to grass before being fed, and the buyers here demand a little more frame than what is no longer accepted elsewhere. If I have any luck at all selling a calf, he must be either red or darker roan,deep bodied, full-flanked and 'quartered, and slicker-haired. Especially, if you are selling fall-born calves in March or April, the buyers really pay attention to "thriftiness", and want to see cattle that are starting to shed-off. Here in the middle of the country, we have enough winter weather with more humidity, and, therefore, my Shorthorn cows have the same winter hair as a cow in Ohio, or even Montana. My pastures are predominantly Tall Fescue, and the cattle that shed earlier tend to perform better. Hence, my views are what they are.

Elbee, Do you have a current pic in pasture clothes of Wymore? The one in the semen guide from the ASA the most current one you have? I Have used Gizmo on larger cows amd he really clicked. Good Moms, too.