For Shorthorn folks

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

What bull or bulls are you running in your herd this year? Just trying to get a idea of what people are running this year. The board is slow so I thought I would ask. <cowboy>

OH Breeder

My clean up is a Ar Su Lu Tonic x DZ Fool x CF DZ FOOL 387 TP X son. We had our first crop this year and are pretty satisfied. Larger BW than expected but nice calves.

coyote

Saskvalley Bonanza 219M
Saskvalley Tradition 106T
Muridale Buster 2nd 76P
EIONMOR HIGHLANDER 84W X
MURIDALE BRIGGS 25W X
Eagle View Winston 2W

uluru

We are using Ruffian our proven herd sire along with Soveregn who has performed well for us during the past 3 years.
A few heifer are being bred by our new sire Muridale Bonanza 85W

Attachments

• Bonanza 85W.jpg
    Bonanza 85W.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Foxwillow Sovereign 3S 2009.jpg
    Foxwillow Sovereign 3S 2009.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Ruffian Semex  pic.jpg
    Ruffian Semex pic.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 255

Koulee

We are running

JR Momentum 25P
JR Legacy 143S
A&T Range Ready 880
Eionmor Profit 17T
Koulee Titan 27ET

We AI to

Circle M Magnet 7M
Eionmor Highlander 90P
Eionmor Ideal 50P
Terook Superex 38G
Terook Weebolla Ferro
Royal Terook 34G
Coulee Royal Terook 29 K

aj

A.I. d with captain obvious and jpj.Sodhouse Lancer 606,Sodhouse Little Big Man,Sodhouse Valor, used naturally. The calves out of these genetics won't knock your socks off showring wise but they a step in the right direction by moderating bw,improving carcass and sustainability.

TwinMaple

We're running Muridale Touchdown 63T. He's a son of Saskvalley Bonanza 219M from the Muridale herd of Saskatechewan.
Easy calver, good disposition, exceptional growth.

Attachments

• DSCN0137.JPG
    DSCN0137.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 221

sue

aj said:
A.I. d with captain obvious and jpj.Sodhouse Lancer 606,Sodhouse Little Big Man,Sodhouse Valor, used naturally. The calves out of these genetics won't knock your socks off showring wise but they a step in the right direction by moderating bw,improving carcass and sustainability.

You should freeze your most proven Durham Red bull. My neighbor is just starting to breed his F1s and I gave him the only DR semen I know of?  AJ has a really nice set of DR bull calves. I would disagree they are attractive beef type cattle... loved his F2s. His Purebred RA bull is a chunk - Larry Crossaint bred, right?

Shady Lane

I'm walking HC Timeline 17T, he's been here since early June, previous to that he ran at Buffalo lake Shorthorns, Stettler AB in the early breeding season.

I AI'd to the new sire that Justintime and I own together, HC FL Touchdown 123T, 2009 Canadian National Champion.

ET Calves will be by DF Pure Gold 3N and DF Gold Eagle 0019K

Attachments

• DF Gold Eagle 0019K.jpg
    DF Gold Eagle 0019K.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 207
  • DF Pure Gold 3N.jpg
    DF Pure Gold 3N.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Touchdown 123T ET 24-05-2010.jpg
    Touchdown 123T ET 24-05-2010.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 210
  • timelinecropped1.JPG
    timelinecropped1.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 276

aj

Right Sue, I think breeding half bloods to half bloods will be where the power will be. There will be some inconsistency in the first crosses. The trick is to find the breeding bull half blood. Sodhouse Lancer 606 is out of a small cow,used on heifers, and had a 8 star out of 8 star on the one feed effiency test deal. Its going to take some time.

mark tenenbaum

Real impressive Canadian bulls-it seems like more of thier good ones are out on cows-I remember when AJ was using some Maine influence Like SOD House mr Man-etc-I never got to see any of those cattle-but would think that DR cross on those type of cattle would be pretty cool. O0

sue

Mark
You would be amazed to see how much hair some DR's have?? I cannot figure it out...doesnt matter where you go or how they are mated.

AJ .. Did you do Feed Efficiency test through igenity?  I have some Shear Force Tenderness on RS O34 ( actual) . Hope to some on Captain later this summer?  034 is basically like butter.

CWshorthorns

We AI'ed with offroad,ace of diamonds, massive, to our shorthorns. To the father in laws cross bred cows we AI'ed daybreak an angus bull.

Hilltop

We have 4 bulls walking which was too many for the amount of females we run until one bull injured himself in May!!
First bull is Star P Matrix owned with JIT. He is 7 years old now and I wish he was two. His offspring have been tremendously thick with the best dispositions of any bull we have ever used.
Second Bull is ACC General. He is a moderate framed son of Northern Legend that we are using on our bigger red cows and commercials. He is about 55" tall at 30 months. What frame size would that make him? :-\
Third is Me N' My Hawkeye that my daughter has raised out of her first purebred shorthorn that she started her herd with. He is a Saskvalley Pioneer.
Fourth that we don't have a pic of is Diamond Urban Legend who is a full brother to Regal Legend.
A.I'n  has kind of went on the back burner as long as Matrix will be walking here.

Attachments

• Star P Matrix 4N.JPG
    Star P Matrix 4N.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 337
  • General May 28 2010 031.jpg
    General May 28 2010 031.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Hawkeye and Winegum 002.jpg
    Hawkeye and Winegum 002.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 286

justintime

Hilltop said:
We have 4 bulls walking which was too many for the amount of females we run until one bull injured himself in May!!
First bull is Star P Matrix owned with JIT. He is 7 years old now and I wish he was two. His offspring have been tremendously thick with the best dispositions of any bull we have ever used.
Second Bull is ACC General. He is a moderate framed son of Northern Legend that we are using on our bigger red cows and commercials. He is about 55" tall at 30 months. What frame size would that make him? :-\
Third is Me N' My Hawkeye that my daughter has raised out of her first purebred shorthorn that she started her herd with. He is a Saskvalley Pioneer.
Fourth that we don't have a pic of is Diamond Urban Legend who is a full brother to Regal Legend.
A.I'n  has kind of went on the back burner as long as Matrix will be walking here.

I am predicting that Hawkeye will follow his sire's steps and be named Canadian National Champion Bull this fall at Agribition. If he doesn't win, it will be an outstanding bull that beats him. Hawkeye is a yearling son of Saskvalley Pioneer 126P and is from a Salute two year old dam that Lil Hilltop purchased from me. I happen to think that Hawkeye is pretty amazing!

Latest posts