Ford Ecoboost

Help Support Steer Planet:

bim1986

Anyone downsize from a diesel into the gas ecoboost from ford.  I pull 16' aluminum bumper pull trailer so I don't think trailer weight would be an issue.  Also new ford is supposed to be quite a bit lighter.

RyanChandler

bim1986 said:
Anyone downsize from a diesel into the gas ecoboost from ford.  I pull 16' aluminum bumper pull trailer so I don't think trailer weight would be an issue.  Also new ford is supposed to be quite a bit lighter.

I did just that while my 6.4 was in the shop.  I borrowed my Dad's ecoboost that had less than 15k miles on it at the time.  You might get different opinions but I think the truck is junk.  I pulled a 16' bumper pull 700 mile round trip w/ a 1800lb bull and 3 600lb heifers in there and averaged 8 miles per gallon. 4 less than I would have in the diesel.  The truck was down shifting the entire tire and, like you said, with the truck being so light, I was all over the road any time the bull would shift sides.    He's since bought a gmc all terrain w/ the 6.2-- I haven't pulled a cattle trailer with it but pulled a 27' Cobalt and it was substantially more truck than the ecoboost ever thought about being.  The only half ton Ford I'd consider would be the Raptor w/ the 6.2.  You're going to be disappointed w/ anything less. 

okiegirl

We have a 2011 F150 with the Ecoboost and love it.  We are pulling a 20ft gooseneck show trailer and have absolutely no problems.  With a loaded trailer (2 big steers) and all the show equipment and feed we generally get around 11mpg.  I would love to have a 250 but would have to give up the ecoboost.  I highly recommed it <party> <party>

Cham2135

Don't do it... The ecoboost is a good "coffee truck" or good truck for someone who lives in town.

I've you want a half ton get the 5.0. We love ours but we like our 6.7 better

bim1986

Bred and owned said:
Don't do it... The ecoboost is a good "coffee truck" or good truck for someone who lives in town.

I've you want a half ton get the 5.0. We love ours but we like our 6.7 better

Any problems with the 6.7.  The 6.0 diesel was a clunker. 

Another reason for the 1/2 ton is to get by possible DOT registration that I think they might start imposing on 3/4 tons.

bim1986

-XBAR- said:
What makes you think dot will impose anything on 3/4 tons?

We are in western ks and DOT started requiring 3/4 and larger trucks to register through them for commercial vehicles.  These trucks are oil company trucks, but the guy I talked to thought it would apply to any commercial vehicle.  Is a farm llc company truck considered commercial?

ATM OH

Love my 2012 Ford F150 with the EcoBoost, probably get another one when the new body style comes out.

RyanChandler

I'd challenge anyone to go take a test drive in a gmc or chevy w/ the 6.2 liter Ecotech and tell me they still prefer the Ecoboost

Davis Shorthorns

bim1986 said:
-XBAR- said:
What makes you think dot will impose anything on 3/4 tons?

We are in western ks and DOT started requiring 3/4 and larger trucks to register through them for commercial vehicles.  These trucks are oil company trucks, but the guy I talked to thought it would apply to any commercial vehicle.  Is a farm llc company truck considered commercial?

I have not herd anything about this in Eastern KS.  If you do more than just a occasional weekend trip with a stock trailer and money isn't the reason to buy a 1/2 ton just buy the diesel or bigger gas motor.  You will probably burn up the trans on the half ton with it having to shift so often under load.  JMO

chambero

-XBAR- said:
I'd challenge anyone to go take a test drive in a gmc or chevy w/ the 6.2 liter Ecotech and tell me they still prefer the Ecoboost

Are you driving that in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.  Late this year I'm going to trade my one ton Dodge diesel in for a new 1 ton Ford or Chevy with a gas engine.  I'm sick of the extra expense of a diesel.  I've paid enough $1500-$3000 repair/maint bills for replacing an injector or cleaning out the emissions system.

RyanChandler

chambero said:
-XBAR- said:

Are you driving that in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.  Late this year I'm going to trade my one ton Dodge diesel in for a new 1 ton Ford or Chevy with a gas engine.  I'm sick of the extra expense of a diesel.  I've paid enough $1500-$3000 repair/maint bills for replacing an injector or cleaning out the emissions system.

It's was a half ton.  I pulled a 27' closed bow boat with it From Grapevine to Texoma and I don't know that my 6.4 would have pulled it any better.  All of the new gas 3/4 tons I've seen still have the 6.0 in them.  I had an 05 2500hd w/ the 6.0 and I couldn't afford to keep gas in it. 9-10miles per gallon in college doesn't cut it. I can still remember the first time I filled it up: after burning a half tank, I looked to see that I had only gone 120 miles  :eek:

I'm not the best mechanic so I make a point to keep a truck so long as its under warranty.  The first thing I'd suggest you do when you get a new truck is to take all that emission crap off it immediately.  It destroys the motors.  I wish I could find the release International published on the 6.4.  They said it was the best motor they ever made but that Fords attempt at emission compliance destroyed it.  It somewhat suggested this was the reason this was the last diesel they made for Ford. 

worthabit

chambero said:
-XBAR- said:

I couldn't agree more. Unless you are using it to haul everyday, I can't see how it pays.

RyanChandler

It pays because when you subtract salvage value from purchase price, the cost to drive/own a diesel is substantially less than to own a gasoline

Mark H

The problems with the new Direct Injection turbocharged gasoline engine trucks are many.  They get great fuel economy until you try and use the available power then fuel economy drops like a rock.  Remember unlike a diesel gas engines consume fuel in a 14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio. To get more air trough the engine to get more power gas consumption goes up.  Also these DI turbo engines are some of the most complex engines ever built and if drivability issues ensue then troubleshooting is difficult and time consuming ($$$).
Something both the new CR diesels and DI turbo gas engines have in common is carbon build up due to EGR valves.  DI engines and diesels do not have a way to clean the intake ports so carbon can buildup causing big problems.  This solved by taking the heads off and cleaning them ($$$).  The solution is to use an engine that is drove hard to keep the use of the EGR down to as little as possible.  Using a light throttle hurts these modern engines.  The marketing of big horsepower and torque to pickup owners actually hurts in the owner in the end.  The solution is to use smaller displacement diesel engines.  How does a Cummins 4BT in a one ton sound?  They are doing this in Brazil right now.

edmun2010

the eco boost Is definatly not meant to pull with much more then the odd day per year, fuel economy sucks while doing so  and tghey are way too lite in the rear they sway all over the road with live loads that move around. if it were me I and I did not want a 3/4 ton I would get a ram 1/2 ton with the 3.0 diesel good milage and the bottom end torque of the diesel. Mark I completely agree these new GREEN engines need to be drove hard or they plug up, friend of ours (78year old)buy new gm drove to florida and back was having engine code problems and the local dealers solution was a stick jammed between the gas pedal and seat to run the engine at 2800 rpm for over an hour and told him to drive it harder.

bim1986

I didn't know dodge had a half ton with a diesel.  I am going to have to check this out, seems right down my alley.

oakview

I have not talked to one person that has had good luck with their Duramax.  The 6.0 Ford diesel weaned me from Fords forever.  I've been told the Ford mechanics don't even know how to fix their new ones.  I've had my Dodge Cummins for 10 months.  There's absolutely no comparison in the way it handles my trailer compared to the 6.0 Ford, both in fuel economy and power.  I won't miss paying the Ford dealer $5,000 to fix the Turbo, $5,000 to fix the injectors, $5,000 to fix the Turbo, again, and whatever it was to fix the EGR cooler.  I won't even mention how bad the dealers want to trade to get your used 6.0 Ford.  Can anyone say recall?  There should have been one on that piece of junk.