Former show heifers are nice....

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I have a cow that's water bag broke this morning so I decided I better separate her. It's pouring down rain & everything is full of slop. I tried several times to get her into the calving pen, of course she wouldn't go & change course at every turn. Finally I just gave up & got the halter out, put it on her & led her to the pen. Of course she's one of those former show heifers! They can be a pain sometimes but times like this it's nice to have a group of them!
Used my last straw of Habanero on her. She better do a good job w/ this baby!!! ::)

Red

nysteerguy

I love having show heifers that develop into cows, I personally think it makes them much more manageable.  Anyway good luck with your calf I hope everything works out for you.

red

Thanks- she had a TH calf last year. :'( That's why I bred her to a clean/clean bull.  she had a foreplay bull her first calf & he sold very well.

Red

WCC

Those old show heifers can be to nosey sometimes and extrememly stubborn  just when ya dont need them to be.  We have some that are to gentle.  Its extrememly hard to push them through the tub,  alley to the chute.    I dont like using the hot shot but its a necesary evil when working some of those old stubborn past show heifers.

red

It's funny to see mine whenever the livestock trailer pulls in. Mine all come running w/ their tails in the air. Does make it easy to load them though. Most just jump on the trailer without any problem. most of them are almost too tame. Gets to be a pain trying to get them out of the way. does help in breaking their calves. Since they come up to be petted, the calves learn the same.

Cow had a red heifer. We ended up pulling it. Not real big, but haven't weighed her yet. This makes 10 heifers in row for us. Glad we like heifers!

Red

genes

Cingrats on the new one Red.

Sometimes the old show heifers are a pain in the rear, but yes sometimes it is nice.  Like when you can use her to take another cow or youngster who won't go through the gate through, then just bring the old show heifer back to the right pen.

Last year I had a heifer halter broken though she never actually showed (broke my ankle the day before the show :( )  She wasn't the tamest, but was definitely workable.  Well she calves this year and Dad needed to help the calf nurse so he put her in the headgate.  She starts getting all crazy agitated, and Dad thinks "This can't be right" and takes a closer look.  Not her.  Darn lost ear tags.