Fort worth steer show

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tallcool1

I didn't realize they had made a change.

I have never been to the show down there.  Always wanted to go, but usually find a reason not to.  I have friends down there and they talk about how overcrowded it is in the barns.  People can say what they want about the facility, it is hard to have enough space for that many cattle!

I used to wonder why they didn't raise the minimum weight to help these numbers along.  Do we really need 1,100# fat steer being represented as "market steers"?  If they are really just prospects that are shooting for a later show, then leave them home. 

I wouldn't guess the weight breaks will change much, but that is just me guessing.

knabe

what's the range of heavier steers from the pud sires.

Maybe eliminate anything over 1400 too.

or +/- say 100lbs what ever the box wants

Medium Rare

Most farmer/feeders I know want to blow right on by 1,400lbs in order to make money. They'd be begging the bankers to bail them out of a really deep hole if they fed a pen that ran out of steam at 1,000lbs.

There was a decent podcast awhile back about this subject and if it was time to at least make the weights and ages used to obtain them more commercially acceptable. I believe the guest host was Brandon Callis, so it wasn't just some random anti show guy rambling on the internet either.

knabe

I think they should live weigh them as they walk in the ring.

Big huge screen.

That would probably be a lot of fun.

oakview

Around here, the sale barn watchers tell me the "clubby" type calves are knocked $.50/pound or more.  A good friend of mine told me his extra hairy calves were sorted out and dropped quite a bit in price, too.

jconner2088

Thanks Tallcool for keeping with the oq. Yes i to feel it was to help with numbers and that 1000#s didn't need to be used as market cause most are heading down the road to houston or austin.

I do believe there is a problem but now what i posted for, really wanted to hear opinions of what everyone thought might happen to weight breaks. Like most forums now a days it gets turned in to ppl wanting to rant.
Thanks 

DLD

I think the effect will be pretty minimal - maybe noticeable in the breeds with 3 classes, but I doubt by much, because those under 1000# didn’t have a chance anyway, so there weren’t that many. It’s bound to have some effect on the first division of European crosses, but I’d think it will pretty much disappear as you get into the bigger divisions. 

I’m looking forward to being able to sit down and watch the steer show this year. I know it won’t help the crowding in the barns, but showing in the coliseum has to big a plus for all the spectators.

knabe

oakview said:
A good friend of mine told me his extra hairy calves were sorted out and dropped quite a bit in price, too.

so shave them, wait a bit so it doesn't look like it?

i still say weigh the calves as they enter the ring.

the drama will be palpable.

could even have a contest that the smallest differential between the original now used weight and the ring weight get a bonus!!!

so little change.

knabe

jconner2088 said:
Champ was polled and reserve was hereford. Been right around 30 yrs since it wasnt a exotic

meaning champ was polled hereford and hereford was horned and reserve?

mark tenenbaum

Credit where Credits DUE-By virtue of sheer numbers Texas has the coolest club calves on earth-Tho the deal is quickly changing-re breed appearing cattle THAT GROW TOO-But just about anything you see down there is exotic in reality-at least the show cattle O0

doc-sun

jconner2088 said:
knabe said:
jconner2088 said:
Champ was polled and reserve was hereford. Been right around 30 yrs since it wasnt a exotic

meaning champ was polled hereford and hereford was horned and reserve?
Yes
WRONG!!!!! THEY ONLY LOOKED LIKE HEREFORDS. IF YOU LOOK AT THE PEDIGREES THERE ARE CLUB CALF "EXOTIC" GENETICS TOP AND BOTTOM OF BOTH. THERE ARE EVEN SOME CARRIERS. It looked to me like there were very good crossbred steers buried behind the black calf that I didn't like at all who won that division. Purple reigned
though as evidenced by 500k in premiums to the champs.