Fort Worth Stock Show: Picky Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

bettyheifer21

Hello all, new member here! I decided to get some advice from some experienced showman...
My heifer is six and a half months old, and she has a beautiful form, but when we attended the county show, my advice was to grow her for the F.W stock show. The only issue is that we were really struggling to find her a diet she enjoys. Friends have suggested feed, but she picks right past the high protein pellets. The goal is to have her on at least 16% protein (30% is target, but hard to find), and so far we have tried the following: Purina (dry pellet), Purina precon(dry pellet), red chain dunkin supreme (a local brand of sweetfeed), and proshow (sweet feed). She eats 1 pound of proshow (10-12%), 1 pound of red chain dunkin supreme (10-12% preotein), and 2 pounds of purina (16% protein). My heifer weighs about 600 pounds. There is no target weight as of now, for we are still trying to figure out how to get her to finish her food. I have figured out she leaves a few bites when she doesnt like the food, and she takes about 3 hours to finish it on a normal day. What kind of feed can I give her to grow her for the stock show? I was told to try pouring molasses on her food to make up for the dryness, and lack of flavor. Perhaps shes just a lazy eater, but what ever it is, I have until February 4th to beef her up!

TexasRedsAndShorties

Hello all, new member here! I decided to get some advice from some experienced showman...
My heifer is six and a half months old, and she has a beautiful form, but when we attended the county show, my advice was to grow her for the F.W stock show. The only issue is that we were really struggling to find her a diet she enjoys. Friends have suggested feed, but she picks right past the high protein pellets. The goal is to have her on at least 16% protein (30% is target, but hard to find), and so far we have tried the following: Purina (dry pellet), Purina precon(dry pellet), red chain dunkin supreme (a local brand of sweetfeed), and proshow (sweet feed). She eats 1 pound of proshow (10-12%), 1 pound of red chain dunkin supreme (10-12% preotein), and 2 pounds of purina (16% protein). My heifer weighs about 600 pounds. There is no target weight as of now, for we are still trying to figure out how to get her to finish her food. I have figured out she leaves a few bites when she doesnt like the food, and she takes about 3 hours to finish it on a normal day. What kind of feed can I give her to grow her for the stock show? I was told to try pouring molasses on her food to make up for the dryness, and lack of flavor. Perhaps shes just a lazy eater, but what ever it is, I have until February 4th to beef her up!
Can you pretty please let me see some pics? I’d appreciate it!

bettyheifer21

I forgot to mention that we also tried a nutrena dry pellet as well, which she of course rejected 🙃

bettyheifer21

Right now we're not feeding a dry pellet, just two scoops of red chain Dunkin supreme, and two scoops of pro show. I've never seen her murder her food that fast before! Good to know she's less of a lazy eater, and just really dislikes the dry pellets...

TexasRedsAndShorties

Alrighty here is my advice she is NOT hurting for feed as I see some fat pones developing what I usually do is give them a reason to not eat leave the food in her pen until she eats it otherwise you are just wasting it but she is a really nice smooth heifer imo very pretty gal sometimes I’ll even skip feedings to get my heifers hungry again no hay even just my advice

bettyheifer21

That is so helpful, I appreciate it! So now I'm think we'll stick to both sweet feeds red chain, and mfm proshow. She is a gorgeous girl, but still hoping she'll grow before the stock show. Thanks again! :)

TexasRedsAndShorties

That is so helpful, I appreciate it! So now I'm think we'll stick to both sweet feeds red chain, and mfm proshow. She is a gorgeous girl, but still hoping she'll grow before the stock show. Thanks again! :)
She is really nice I’d rather have one that I didn’t push on feed as opposed to one that I did and burnt out too quick you still have next year! So keep your head up