FR Magic?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

OK I was going to do a post on disease but the sun is out and I spent the day working cattle and all is good with the world....so I thought I do a little Magic (OK play on words!)...

The heifer is out of a Magic cow (Strutt) sired by Spin City (and much to my delight is PHA FREE) - I ultrasounded her today and she is pregnant to Midas (also much to my delight) which got me thinking

I bred my old cow to Magic almost on a whim, and the Magic cow is really pretty special (as is her daughter). Sometimes things work (serendipity) and sometimes well planned things don't ..... I have Magic in my tank and am cogitating who to use him on...

I have seen quite a few daughters but never saw the bull. Anybody ever see the bull? Any body have a picture? Anybody have preferences as to what kind of cows he works best on? Any ideas/thoughts/comments graciously accepted and appreciated.....

Attachments

• 4Ssmall.jpg
    4Ssmall.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 402

DL

xxcc said:
i think he would work the best if you used him on one of my cows :)

and here I thought you were going to pass on some more of your knowledge!
;D

Telos

DL, I did have a picture of him, but threw everything away during a spring cleaning marathon a few years ago.

If I remember the story correctly, Charles Burk from Panhandle Tx. dropped FR Magic off in the Ferris's front yard of their home in Connerville Okla. and told them if you want the best females in the world that he was the bull to use. Tom and Glen Ferris used Magic heavily in their breeding program.  Jane Ferris is still alive and breeding Maines with her daughter and son in law. Kris Black owned  Magic's full sister and I almost bought her as an aged cow. She was a good producer, but Kris always thought he never bred her to the right bull.

AAOK might have a picture of the ole boy? I believe he had a Magic daughter or two and comes from the same area. Magic was a nice looking bull in my opinion.

One of my favorite Magic daughters was bred By Salton, Magic x  Russ's famous Midas daughter 224X. I remember telling Russ that would be his best cow. He confirmed my prediction a couple of years ago during a conversation.

DL

Telos - I was hoping you would weigh in - and you gave me a good idea! I have a Midas daughter - (finally!) she is just a yearling and already bred, but breeding her to Magic next year might be just the ticket. I like to use that kind of semen on the cows that stick first time everytime!

What about Daines the Penguin and Daines Copenhagen - seen either of them??

Did you see that A3 arrived? Get the check wagon ready....

Telos

Hey DL, Vinnie Blakely used Penguin at his Diamonds In The Rough operation in Okla.. You might want to give him a call regarding that ole boy. The only thing about Penguin  is that he could really color them up  and I mean really color them up all over. DRCC did campaign some nice show heifers out of him, but that's all I know about him.

The Copenhagen bull... now that's some rare stuff. Michael Daine was never in a big hurry to sell any of his semen. What concerns me about him is his PC Metric 707H mother. Metric is high on my PHA suspect list, but have seen some great Maines that went back to Copenhagen mothers.

The chuck wagon is almost ready to role!!! Wondering if those larger framed Beefpacas which we can never seem to utilize will make a good team of oxen? I know they eat a lot, but the grass appears to be abundant this year and don't think we'll have any problems with them having plenty of roughage for the long journey. Thought Farmboy would be a good choice to drive this team of Beefpacas along with helping with the everyday chores!  My vote would be that Gypsy heads up the Amigoettes to insure all the fixins will be of the highest quality.

Have been working on a new recipe... It's called "Tumbleweed Smoked Tenderloin of Beefpaca". Thought it would be good for the main course, in honor of A3's return. Don't worry, all the Beefpaca meat will have been DNA tested and carry all the known gene markers for tenderness and marbling.

Rolling, rolling, rolling... Keep those Beefpacas going. Keep those Beefpacas going. Rawhide!

red

Humm must not have hit post on my last try here!

DL nice heifer. Great hair & I thought you couldn't grow hair!

I'm not real familar w/ Magic but really like the Midas angle on her. Should be a great combination.

Red

Jill

I have Penguin in the tank from some semen we bought from Blakely's years ago, if you find out what he works on let us know.

afhm

Pohlman's have some semen for sale out of him on their site.  They have semen on several older bulls on their site for sale.

red

also great people to deal with!
Have known Randy & Pearlann for years.
http://www.pohlmanfarms.com/

Here is some of what they have.

Limited Edition    5 units    $70/unit
Midas                 2 units    $70/unit
FR Magic           2 units    $70/unit
Power Plant       1 unit     $70
FJH Legacy       5 units    $70/unit
Smithbilt            3 units    $70/unit
SAV 8180 Traveler 004  20 units   $35/unit
DJ Caesar        2 units     $10/unit
DJ Patent           9 units   $5/unit
DJ Joe               5 units    $5/unit
WD-40               2 units    $5/unit
Black Dice          1unit        $5
Titalist                1 unit      $5
Topper               1 unit      $5
Double Vision      5 units  $30/unit
Theobald 969     8 units   $15/unit
Milestone Sabre  2 units   $15/unit
Tequila                2 units    $15/unit

P-F

The Smilthbilt and Patent are sold thank you Lana.[

quote author=red link=topic=1009.msg10105#msg10105 date=1181582645]
also great people to deal with!
Have known Randy & Pearlann for years.
http://www.pohlmanfarms.com/

Here is some of what they have.

Limited Edition    5 units    $70/unit
Midas                 2 units    $70/unit
FR Magic           2 units    $70/unit
Power Plant       1 unit     $70
FJH Legacy       5 units    $70/unit
Smithbilt            3 units    $70/unit
SAV 8180 Traveler 004  20 units   $35/unit
DJ Caesar        2 units     $10/unit
DJ Patent           9 units   $5/unit
DJ Joe               5 units    $5/unit
WD-40               2 units    $5/unit
Black Dice          1unit        $5
Titalist                1 unit      $5
Topper               1 unit      $5
Double Vision      5 units  $30/unit
Theobald 969     8 units   $15/unit
Milestone Sabre  2 units   $15/unit
Tequila                2 units    $15/unit

[/quote]

Telos

P-F, really like your bull from Dejong's. Looks like he's going to be a really nice maternal bull that's a little different then the other Simmi pedigrees. He's definitely one of my picks for the new generation of maternal bulls. Good luck with him.