Freeze branding in rain?

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

It should work & possibly better B/C the water will help with making the contact of the iron more consistant. We have learnt that if you mist the iron/skin with alcohol while branding the brands are better B/C of the better conductivity of the cold to the hide.

chambero

We are about to make our first attempt at freeze branding this weekend on about 50 heifers.  We are using liquid nitrogen.

JSchroeder

Good call on the liquid nitrogen.  This was the third time we've freeze branded and dry ice is just a pain and more expensive than nitrogen once you throw in the alcohol.

chambero

Never mind - found out they won't sell me liquid nitrogen in a container that isn't cryogenic.  I had to get dry ice.  The literature I've found says gasoline is a better solvent than alcohol.  Any idea if that's true?  I don't care about cost, just want it to work.

JSchroeder

No clue on the gasoline.

We had to stop today after about 30 head when we ran out of dry ice (we bought three ‘blocks’ of dry ice and two gallons of alcohol).  The problem is you don’t really notice it because it’s still bubbling and cold enough to have the vapor condensation.  As it gets later in the day, make sure you’re still checking the brands to ensure they are rock hard.

With liquid nitrogen you wouldn’t have to worry about it not being cold enough.

genesaw

when using liquid nitrogen instead of dry ice and alcohol how long do you hold the irons on? Iwas told that liquid nitrogen was actually too cold

CAB

Thanks for finding the link on instructions Jeff. According to those, Freeze branding in the rain probably would not work well.

common sense

Find somebody that has a race car that runs on ethanol. I have freeze branded with regular gasoline but I HATED it. Mostly I didn't like the mess, smell and it was such an irritant. The ethanol and dry ice worked great.

HAFarm

If freeze branding in the rain you would want to get the branded area really dry as the only liquid on the skin needs to not freeze at the temp of dry ice.  Transferring the cold to the hide would be limited through ice.  We have also found that misting the brand with ethanol or similar substance has made a much better brand.  We have never used LN.  I have heard to only leave it on the skin for like 15 seconds with LN.  We leave in on the hide for 75 sec. with dry ice and it works great we hardly ever have a bad one. 

gatorbait

Don't do it!! wet and or damp cattle do not freeze brand well. it is hard to shear out the brand site. The wet hide causes the brand to smear because the water conducts the cold away from the skin at the brand site. Pick a dry day and do not get in a hurry make sure your irons are really cold it is best to have a minimum of 2 sets of numbers. Also if you are using a herd brand have several of them so you can always keep them cold. It is best to take your time and get a clear brand then to rush and have unreadable brands.

genesaw

I agree with Juli on the race fuel, my buddy races a sprintcar and i just get some alcohol from him also most small town grocery stores in my area get food shipped to them packed in dry ice and they just give me the stuff, will keep in a cooler in a freezer for a few days