freeze damage on wheat

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

It was 25 degrees in burlington colorado this morning....29 degrees in goodland ks....anyone have freeze damage on wheat out there? ???

kanshow

Yikes! Can you tell how bad it was yet?    We had that last year, not fun at all because no one knows what to do with it - leave it, bale it, destroy it & go to another crop. 

BCCC

kanshow said:
   We had that last year, not fun at all because no one knows what to do with it - leave it, bale it, destroy it & go to another crop. 
throw a bunch cows on it, have it down in a couple days, and plant something else.

We are just now starting to plant corn :'(

aj

According to olson(ksu agronomist at colby ks) the wheat in the stage it is here wouldn't be hurt unless it got down to 26 for like three hours. We were probably safe by a few degrees right here. Down on creek bottoms and probably a few isolated spots may have got smoked. I allways wondered why windchill wouldn't factor in the damage but it doesn't seem to...unless a wind sweeps the heat coming out of the ground away faster. The 25 at Burlington colorado area might have got hurt. Seems like we have been smoked here at least 3 times in the last 25 years. One was a May 10 freeze the other like may twenty something. The May 20 something smoked most all the corn also in this area.Had snow here May 1 so it is weird this year.

Cowboy

AJ -- it was 26 degrees here this morning at 6-30 -- and only 28 by 8 , so it was cold. About a 1/4 inch of frost on the cars -- seems to have not froze as hard up on the flats -- the wind kept the leaves moving I guess -- that seems to always help.

We went into town this after noon at McCook, past several big wheat fields, and I only saw one place where it was wilted pretty good -- and it was in a bottom along a creek --it was pretty sad looking.

Time will tell, but meybe they missed a bigger bullet -- we got snow here just a week ago too, froze that night a little but I think the snow actually insulated the wheat by keeping the ground heat in a little. Funny how that works!

Good luck down there pard -- Terry

red

we've seen several fields of wheat & rye killed off by round-up/ Imagine more acreage to corn.
Not supposed to get that cold here but rain all week but 1 day.  :'(

Red