Freezer Beef

Help Support Steer Planet:

ruhtram

What do people pay for beef (full,1/2,1/4 beef's) and What do you pay for processing...Just trying to get some prices to compare to.Thanks!

Ag Man

The meat trade was as high as $1.70/lb on choice carcass last week.

Haven't seen the latest.

If you are delivering te beef to the locker and you feel you have a top notch product you should be at least $.15/lb over market.. I had a school secretary say someone priced a side of beef for $2.10 a pound and $.48/lb processing. 

The $.48/lb is a steal...if there is no hidden charges.  And I felt that if she was willing to pay $2.10 than that was what the market was that day!!

GoWyo

I have some headed to packer in the middle of the month.  They will be priced at $2.00/lb. on the rail.  These guys are big, probably 1400# and if they dress at 62% should hang a 860# carcass.  At $2.00 that is $1720, which would work out to $1.23 live.  Processing is all vacuum packed and done very well, but costs $.65 per lb. carcass wt. plus the kill fee of $35 or $40 per head so processing will cost another $600 for a total of $2320 on a 1400 lb. steer.

Smaller steers (1100 lbs or so) I have sold at $2.25 on the rail.  This packer will take custom cut instructions down to the side of beef and will further split into quarters so long as the 2 quarter purchasers have the same cut instructions.

Diamond

I been getting from $4.00-$6.50 for my grey grass fed cattle and $2.95-$4.00 for my maines and cross cattle hanging weight including butcher which is about $70 to kill and .60 cut and wrap.

mlazyj

market price on the rail 1.50+ , then proccessing , here it's 45-48 cents a pound , then you have the kill charge which we devide by the number customers per animal . Depending on how big your animals are , rule of thumb try not to sell more then a half at a time to a family or more than a quarter to a couple . You helping the customer out and yourself . You want them to use the meat up not get buried and freazer burned . You don't tie so much of their  money up so they are back to buy more in 6 months , keeps you in the money year round instead of just once a year .

irh

We got $1.70 a lb on hanging weight this past Aug. Packing was 43 cents per pound, kill was $35.00.  But price is going up to probalby $2.00 lb this year, do to the $6.00 plus corn!