From Dover's FDA/Clones

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Top Stories:
Meat, milk from cloned animals is safe, FDA says
The Food and Drug Administration announced Tuesday that food from healthy clones of cattle, swine and goats is safe for human consumption. In a 968-page "final risk assessment," the FDA said, "edible products from healthy clones that meet existing requirements for meat and milk in commerce pose no increased food consumption risk(s) relative to comparable products from sexually-derived animals." The FDA also said it needs more information to determine the safety of meat and milk from cloned sheep. For more information, follow this link.
    FDA's announcement about the safety of food from cloned animals raises at least as many questions as it answers. Even FDA admitted in a document accompanying the report that "moral, religious and ethical concerns…have been raised." For livestock producers, the most important question may be, "Will consumers buy food from cloned animals?" There certainly was no shortage of fear-mongering about clones from consumer advocate groups. And one group, the Center for Food Safety, is considering legal action. The group's legal director, Joseph Mendelson, said, "One of the amazing things about this is that at a time when we have a readily acknowledged crisis in our food safety system, the FDA is spending its resources and energy and political capital on releasing a safety assessment for something that no one but a handful of companies wants."
    Or do they? The two biggest players in the meat business, Smithfield Foods and Tyson Foods, said they aren’t planning to offer consumers meat from cloned animals anytime soon. Smithfield Foods issued a statement that noted the "science involved in cloning animals is relatively new," and the company would "continue to monitor further scientific research on this technology."
    The loudest criticism regarding the FDA announcement, however, centered around labeling. The FDA said agency regulators cannot require cloned products to be labeled as such if there is no material difference between cloned products and food produced by conventional methods. The FDA says no test exists that could distinguish meat from a cloned animal from other meat. However, food companies may label their products as "clone-free." Additionally, foods labeled "organic" would not contain cloned products. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor

Industry responds to FDA cloning ruling
Most livestock industry officials acknowledged FDA's risk assessment on cloning was scientifically correct, yet some remained wary of how consumers may accept food from cloned animals. For instance, James H. Hodges, president of the American Meat Institute’s Foundation, said "Clearly, the cloning of animals is a new technology and our members will evaluate it, as well as consumer attitudes, very carefully." American Farm Bureau Federation president Bob Stallman, however, endorsed cloning, saying, "It has gone through the appropriate regulatory review process and has been found to be safe; therefore, farmers should have the option of using it. The technology will improve breeding stock and, eventually, the quality, safety and healthfulness of our food. Animal cloning offers great benefits for consumers and farmers."
    Bovance, a cloning company formed last year as a joint-venture between ViaGen and Trans Ova Genetics, fully supported FDA's risk assessment. Trans Ova Genetics president Dr. David Faber said, "Confirming the safety of meat and milk produced from clones and their offspring is an important step for food production in the U.S. and around the world. We feel that the FDA study and its findings clear the way for dairy and beef producers to continue their leadership and stewardship of producing a healthy, humane global food supply." For more from Bovance, go to www.drovers.com.

Can't wait for Knabe's take on this!!!!

Doc

Yea, they had a feature on it on our local news. Interviewed people who said they would turn vegetarian before they would eat meat from cloned animals. Kroger(big chain) & some others said they wouldn't offer anything from cloned animals. ::)

Rocky Hill Simmental

We were talking about this is phychology class yesterday. Most weren't too excited about it, let's just say. Personally, I think it's a little too soon because clones scare people.

red

Just heard on the news that company in CA has cloned the embryos of two men. It was destroyed but who knows what's next?

Red

knabe

red said:
Just heard on the news that company in CA has cloned the embryos of two men. It was destroyed but who knows what's next?

Red

that's because they were alpha males and were deemed defective. 

when they create beta males, it will be a success. 

so, of the people who have used the cloned steer from lautner's, what will they do with their offspring.  i'm assuming they won't be labeled.  looking at that bull, he may be self correcting anyway.

i don't think there should be a mandate to label.  the market takes care of this itself by the companies refusing to use it and labeling it themselves.  i'm sure the democratic party will say they need federal regulations anyway, which is nanny typical for them as they need to protect the public from themselves and create yet more professionally offended and perpertual victimized voters to stay in power.

i would like to see someone even label their product as "cloned, so you can get the best" and put it out there. 

the public is more concerned with feelings, which is why they continue to vote for politicians bearing gifts. we have almost reached a critical mass for pure democracy.  basically, anyone filling out an ag survey are the last relatively uniform group holding the country together with "oudated" notions of a country in spite of the fact that some are democrats, with their money, they are conservatives.

i wonder if the decision will be different once the higher percentage communists get in office (yes, in my book, bush is a dhimmitized democrat communist, corporate facist,  begging for more production of oil from the saudi's, what a dork, and their response was awesome, that guy can't leave soon enough)

i would eat cloned meat, after all, they are vegetarians!  best way to cycle nutrients, eat a vegetarian.  soylent green again, just trying to make sure it's the vegetarians that get eaten, not the omnivores.

showcattlegal

My question is how would they know if it was a out of a clone? Look at wave on wave steers there no different from the real thing. The other thing you have to remember is it costs so much to clone animal in the frist place why would you eat it?

KDSC

WOW this is like dejavu ;D, we were talking about this exact same thing yesterday at lunch, and I said the exact same thing as Showcattlegal :'( Seriously no one raises a clone to butcher, they clone  cattle for breeding purposes. :'( I also will eat cloned meat, I don't care it will still taste the same ;D

knabe

on most issues,

importance scale

feelings  100
facts        0

feelings win, just say change a lot. it works.

red

that's what we said. the clones are being used for breeding/showing. Of course I guess the rejects have to go somewhere.

Red

Jill

They have made the statement they won't carry cloned animal meat, that doesn't include offspring, a calf out of wave on wave isn't a clone.

Cowboy

I would personally challenge any one who has ever eaten a steak or a hamburger to tell the difference if the two were sitting next toeach other on the serving line!

That would be rediculous -- another example of our great government inaction -- stupidity follows stupidity. This is one example. I wonder what this "RESEARCH" has cost us -- the american tax payers. Again, what next -- are they going to clone a blade of grass and then say-- becasue a cow ate it -- that cow willnot be safe for consumption??

The whole process has been a laughing matter to me -- a clone is done for one reason -- to RAPIDLY increase the top end genetic base -- not so WE can all line up and be first to scarf one down for lunch -- how funny!

I do suppose though that would be someone who would pay the 20,000 bucks for that clone just to have the right to eat it -- there are lots of goofy rich people out there. I think the whole thing is funny -- a steer is a steer -- a cow is a cow -- it doesn't matter how it was fertilized to be born -- cells only grow if they are healthy as far as I can tell, this should be no diferent. Knabe --correct me if I am wrong here -- but on this clone saftey thing, I think the whole line of thought about food safety on clones is redilculous!

The grocery chains claiming not to offer any products of cloned animals are just being politicly correct -- placing income before inteligence. The public has been given the doubt by the government when they started the testing???? process, what ever that was or is. so in order not to be labeled as extreme and take the chance of some of the people who are not too well versed not buying thier products, they just put the word out to the crowds that they won't offer it.

Are the boxes containing the meat from a cloned cow or bull glowing in the dark??? hehehehe, what a joke. I might go so far as to wait for one of those glowing boxes so I can have the satifaction of knowing I just ate a steak froma 20,000 baby!!!

My teraid for the day -- fun stuff though huh??

Terry

Doc

showcattlegal said:
My question is how would they know if it was a out of a clone? Look at wave on wave steers there no different from the real thing. The other thing you have to remember is it costs so much to clone animal in the frist place why would you eat it?
Part of the issue is milk products out of cloned dairy animals. They are saying that it wouldn't be the same.

knabe

not being able to prove a negative is what we are teaching kids in school, otherwise known as fear. 

it's also a marketing tactic used most notoriously successfully by microsoft.  it's called fear, uncertainty and doubt, the FUD factor.

if democracy is right (or any other avenue to group think), we shouldn't have mac's, which is what i'm typing on, instead of a machine that has derided every feature of mac's, yet incorporated them from overlapping windows to the mouse, ad infiinitum, regardless of where the technology came from.  i remember vividly the argument by the PC bastions decrying the mouse and touch pad.  basically, apple gave the world these devices almost for free, including the 3.5" floppy disk they developed along with sony when the mac came out in 1984.

it's funny that the PC is the PC computer.  amazing so many people just line up for this foolishness, with vigor and venom.

using the left's logic on this issue, we should all be the same, hence we should all be clones.  it's such a circular argument it's ridiculous.  saying it is different doesn't make it so unless you saw it over and over which is another groupthink technique, hence slogans like "change". 

amazing how america is sooooo dumbed down.  circle the wagons around circular arguments.