From the American Shorthorn Association

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

TPX... you can register online with CNLR in Canada. Some breeders have been registering online for almost two years now. All you need to do is contact the CSA office and they can get you started. I have never used it as I am on WHR which I find works well for me. If it was just registrations that were covered, it would not work for me as well, but considering that transfers are also included in the WHR fee, it works out to much less fees than I used to pay. 5 to 10 years ago, I was paying $5000 - 6000 per year for registrations and transfers. In 2007 it cost me $2200 which to me is pretty reasonable.

Here in Canada, the WHR was started by the Charolais and Simmental breeds and several others followed suite in the next few years. The main reason these breeds started this was to be able to have a better grasp of their finances for the coming year. The last year I was on the Charolais WHR it cost me over $3000 a year.( that was 5 years ago now) Before WHR was started it was next to impossible to set a budget that was even close as registrations and transfers could fluctuate drastically in any given year. WHR doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly works in many others.

Jill

I like the idea of having a choice.  We are on WHR in the Shorthorn breed, most of our purebreds we breed Shorthorn.  The Maines want to do it and I don't like it there, the majority of our cows are Maines or Maintainers and in a given year we will put embryos in 50% of them, embryo's aren't covered under the WHR, they are chargeable so that would make it very expensive for the ones we use as recips. 

I don't have a problem with the rush fee as long as the normal registration process doesn't take more than 2 weeks or so, Shorthorn papers have always been notoriously slow and IF they have corrected that problem, the rush fee doesn't seem out of line.

I will congratulate the Shorthorn Association, I really like the new online system.  I have had several conversations in the past couple of weeks with the office and the staff they have in place now was nothing but courteous and helpful.  Also agree with ELBEE, Shirley has always been pleasant and helpful.

TPX

JIT- I did not know that they had online registrations that just goes to show how much work the assoc does on letting there breeders know what is available to them.  Do you know where all the money goes that we put into the assoc b/c to me its seems like they dont do very much with it, hence the lack of any organization when it comes to a junior program.  It amazes me that a small breed like this can ignore its juniors like that if they keep doing it the breed will keep geting smaller north of the border.

justintime

Sorry Bob,  ... I used the old name Canadian National Livestock Records ( CNLR) instead of the new name Canadian Livestock Records Corp ( CLRC). They changed their name a few years ago and I never realized that I had referred to them under the old name... kinda showing my age!! Sorry for the inconvenience!!
To access internet registrations, click on online services and then on internet registrations. I think there is a form on there that has to be sent to Belinda at the CSA office. Once you are approved, you can register online. I believe the approval is only to protect the registry so that they know at all times who is registering on line.
I know a couple breeders who use it and like it.

garybob

Doc said:
   GB, I didn't think you registered your Shorties. If you don't, then why would you expect anyone to drive to your place or why would you even care?  Other than to just to shoot the breeze with you. As far as having success in the breed , I strongly disagree with you , just ask a certain small breeder from PA that won L'ville this year. It also depends on how you define success. JMO. ;D
Doc, I did register my calves from 97 up until 2004. I only quit registering them when i realized I was trying to go in a different direction than what the leadership of the breed was wanting to travel. Nick's attitude was, he didn't appreciate the "Southern" cattle Industry. He felt "progress" had to come fromn the Midwest , the Plains, and the Rockies, first, before the Association would "push" for more Shorthorns in the Southeast (commercially speaking. I know you and Shortdawg, and, a few others have 'em).

Yes, JIT, I did get the ol' "brush-off" from Aegerter. He didn't want to fool with anyone that wanted to spend less than 5K on a herd bull.

GB

fluffer

I was just getting ready to post a question about how long it takes ASA to get papers out.  My nephue bought 2 shorts last fall.  1 in Sept and 1 in Nov.  We JUST got the papers for the calf purchased in Sept.  Still wating on the calf purchased in Nov.

So can I ask, how long is the normal turn around.  We are very good friends with the guy who sold him the Sept steer and he sent the papers in as soon as my nephue got the steer and we litterly just got the papers this week.  Thus far we haven't been too impressed with the ASA though.

Fluffer

shortyjock89

Fluffer-sadly, that's normal....it took us over 3 months to get papers on a heifer that we raised...we know that the application was filled out correctly...and on a heifer that we sold, it took about 2 months to get the transfer completed...the ASA is really s.....l......o.....w.

garybob

shortyjock89 said:
Fluffer-sadly, that's normal....it took us over 3 months to get papers on a heifer that we raised...we know that the application was filled out correctly...and on a heifer that we sold, it took about 2 months to get the transfer completed...the ASA is really s.....l......o.....w.
If they can't even transfer ownership of cattle ALREADY registered, or register new calves, in a timely and efficient manner, it stands to reason why guys like me couldn't get treated worth a "toot" regarding Performance Records. I've submitted actual weights, from Federally-Certified Scales (via Sale-Barn Check-stubs), adjusted the weights back to 205 days myself (to assist the staff), and STILL got parenthesis around my EPD's. Guys that were pencil-whipping the numbers on well-fed (pampered, un-challenged) calves got GREAT EPD's.
That being said, I must also say, that Y'uns that are actively registering cattle with the ASA, need to give Gwen and Aaron a chance at fixing 15 years' worth of problems. From what I understand, the current ASA Office staff has inherited a stinking mess from their lazy predecessors. Based on what you guys are telling Us SteerPlanet Citizens, it IS gradually getting better,little by little.A $100 "rush fee" is applicable, and should be an incentive for everyone to complete all their forms correctly, and, in atimely manner.

Enjoy the Spring Weather,

GB

shortyjock89

GB, I definately feel for you...we don't have many calves, and you know that they aren't performane oriented, but we still report actual weights on certified scales..it only hurts us if we don't.  That's how we feel anyhow. 

Gwen might be one of the nicest ladies that I've had the chance to talk to at the ASA...with all the angry phone calls she must get, I'm surprised that she hasn't given up..she's still sooo nice and ready to help in any way that she can.  I know that Aaron will definately be an asset out in Omaha, but it's gonna take them a while to get things cleaned up.  I hope that people will start to fill out their registration applications and transfers more accurately and in a more timely fashion...I don't know what's so hard about it, but then again, we only have to fill out about a dozen of them every year....idk...we'll see what happens.

Wishing spring was here,

SJ89

Doc

Doc, I did register my calves from 97 up until 2004. I only quit registering them when i realized I was trying to go in a different direction than what the leadership of the breed was wanting to travel. Nick's attitude was, he didn't appreciate the "Southern" cattle Industry. He felt "progress" had to come fromn the Midwest , the Plains, and the Rockies, first, before the Association would "push" for more Shorthorns in the Southeast (commercially speaking. I know you and Shortdawg, and, a few others have 'em).

Yes, JIT, I did get the ol' "brush-off" from Aegerter. He didn't want to fool with anyone that wanted to spend less than 5K on a herd bull.

GB
[/quote]
That makes real sense to me. Quit & give up , instead of get more involved & try to make change.  ;D

garybob

Doc said:

GB
That makes real sense to me. Quit & give up , instead of get more involved & try to make change.  ;D
[/quote]Doc,  You make it sound like I "wimped-out" after a short period of time. Nothing could be further from the truth. I gave it 7 DEDICATED (sometimes obsessed) years. Also, with the passing of Russell Sloan (ask Brent Elam and Billy Zack Taylor about Mr. Russell Sloan), and guys like Tom Deffenderfer, who had the TOUGHEST set of Shorthorn Cows  (they were true Shorthorn "cowmen", in every  sense of the word), the Arkansas Shorthorn Association lost its Commercial base . Our State Sale went to Hell when these 2 guys went to heaven.
It was just so hard for me to "hang on" with pressure from the local commercial industry (and a Loan Officer)to "go black" (at first He was tellling me I needed a good, soggy, Charolais bull to make 'em good, yeller calves, then turned around 6 years later and said "Gary, you need a good,set of Black-Angus cows and breed them to a good, terminal-cross bull"),  the club calf pedigrees dominated the Breed, and, I saw the storm brewing over genetic defects. It was just time to move on.

I still miss Shorthorns. Real Ones.

Doc, I appreciate what you guys do for the breed. Really, I do. If it weren't for a good, dark-roan heifer( and an FFA jacket), I woulda never read my first Shorthorn Sire Summary. Shows "recruit" Shorthorn Breeders more than any avenue of interest. My falling-out with the "show people" is that the cattle they produce, especially the heifers, have poor maternal production records after their show careers are finished.

Aren't we supposed to be "the mother cow breed"?

Best Wishes,

GB

Doc

GB, I don't need to ask Brent or BZ, I too knew Russell & thought a lot of him. I even spent the night at his house once when I hauled some cattle back for him from 3W Shorthorns' dispersal several years ago. I understand if you decided to switch breeds as a financial decision. What it sounded like to me though was that you switched because Nick & other "Officials" weren't coming to your place or helping you get your cattle sold. Sorry if I misinterpreted.  I've gotta disagree with you again on lumping all show heifers together as non-maternalistic. Just look at the cow/calf class at the Jr Natl's. I think they are very much still the "mother breed". JMO

shortyjock89

Sometimes I think that Shorthorns are still the "Mother Breed", but sometimes I think that they aren't.  I know that my cows have to raise a calf on their own (with some hay, we don't have alot of pasture), and they have to re-breed within 90 days of calving.  I also know that all MY cows (not dad's or sister's) have all  stuck to A.I. I get really proud of my cows when I see them raising a big calf that will do well in the show ring.  Then I start to look around the breed, and all these National Champion females aren't producing the next round of champions.  This isn't how it used to be...just last decade, you had probably a dozen big time show heifers go on to produce champions...the best example of that I think is LF Lucky Charm and also Ka'Ba Rose T90.  Not everyone has to think these are outstanding females, but they were champions, and they produced champions.  Where is that today? It seems that the cows at my house that have the best calves are the cows that weren't quite "showy" enough when they were shown, but everyone wants their calves and want to know their show record.  Excellent show heifers can produce excellent calves..they're called Excellent cows, and there just aren't enough of them around anymore.

OH Breeder

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Sometimes I think that Shorthorns are still the "Mother Breed", but sometimes I think that they aren't.  I know that my cows have to raise a calf on their own (with some hay, we don't have alot of pasture), and they have to re-breed within 90 days of calving.  I also know that all MY cows (not dad's or sister's) have all  stuck to A.I. I get really proud of my cows when I see them raising a big calf that will do well in the show ring.  Then I start to look around the breed, and all these National Champion females aren't producing the next round of champions.  This isn't how it used to be...just last decade, you had probably a dozen big time show heifers go on to produce champions...the best example of that I think is LF Lucky Charm and also Ka'Ba Rose T90.  Not everyone has to think these are outstanding females, but they were champions, and they produced champions.  Where is that today? It seems that the cows at my house that have the best calves are the cows that weren't quite "showy" enough when they were shown, but everyone wants their calves and want to know their show record.  Excellent show heifers can produce excellent calves..they're called Excellent cows, and there just aren't enough of them around anymore.

I think the quality of show cattle has improved due to the lower cost of Embryo transfer . Lot more people have jumped  up or  improved  there show stock. Never before do I remember the ability to purchase the quality of cattle via ET. JMP. I know for me it has improved my herd leaps and bounds. It is economical as well. I buy the eggs and instead of a 25000 cow.
My momma's milk just fine. I have some shorthorns, maines and a couple of simmi's. Of all the simmi's and shorties milk the best. I think that is dependant on your blood lines. Not all show heifers suck as mommas.