front feet

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthornmn

Find a Really good hoof trimmer that won't get him up on his toes too far. If its just a small problem it will only take one Or two trims, but if its bad it will take many more times. It will probably never be completely corrected with hoof.trimming, but it.can usually be corrected enough to be able to be hidden with some good fitting! Good luck.

Bradenh

it can not be fixed with foot trimming, learn to show the calf differently to hide it-- i.e dont move and give the judge the front feet view, and act like you didnt know you were supposed too, and on the profile scissor the front feet alittle to where he cant see they are splayed out when looking from the side(Line them up right infront/behind each other)

shorthornmn

We and many others have corrected it with hoof trimming. You just have to find a hoof trimmed that knows how to do it. Your correct that it won't correct it completely but it sure does help especially if you have a good heifer Or steer. Yes you can try to show it out of them but you can only do that to a certain point also. If you can't find a good hoof trimmed I wouldn't bother though because if you get the wrong one to do it, they can make it worse. Also there is a point to which you can't play dumb in the show ring because especially if u are an old enough showmen you should know better Or also if you have gotten yourself into a corner. My advice is do what's best for you in your own situation. Talk to your vet and multiple hoof trimmers to feel them out. It also depends on how competitive you think your steer is going to be. If you are just showing him at county fair and it isn't that bad, I also wouldn't waste the money. However, with the right corrective hoof trimming it can be done and we have done it a few times.

shorthornmn

I Really don't think anyone could convince me that it doesn't work because I have seen hoof trimming completely transform heifers. Yes it is definitely better to select cattle that don't have this traits. It's not just me that believes and knows it works. I had a friend purchase a heifer from Sullivans and they had her front hooves corrected 3 times over the summer and it made her look way better than what they were. You may not think much of my opinion however take it from a cattlemen that win just about every Shorthorn national show out there. Believe me if they told me to get it done, I wouldn't argue. And they told my friend so I fully believe it works.

shorthornmn

We personally had a Shorthorn heifer that we corrective trimmed and it was pretty bad. With a combination of corrective trimming and good showmanship she ended up a 9 time grand champion female. If you want I can break out the before and after pics to show just.how dramatically it can change one.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Show stopper 95 said:
it can not be fixed with foot trimming
(lol) im sure it will help a bit, but its not possible to fix bad structure. Get them trimmed and keep them trimmed.

shorthornmn

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
Show stopper 95 said:
it can not be fixed with foot trimming
(lol) im sure it will help a bit, but its not possible to fix bad structure. Get them trimmed and keep them trimmed.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this! There is hope lol! Anyway, good luck with your steer and I just want to reiterate- make sure you have someone that knows how to actually do corrective trimming Or it wont work and could make things worse. Just do what's right for you in your situation.

Latest posts