FRONT LEGS OF CALF LOSING HAIR IN SMALL SPOTS???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rocky Hill Simmental

Has she had scours recently? Sometimes that takes the hair off. If not she might have lice or something. Sometimes putting too much dewormer on a baby calf can make some of their hair fall out.

ALABUD

Well i havent dewormed him and he hasnt had the scours thank the Lord, still gets his bottle and eats at will calf starter,medicated.. ??? thanks for your help

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
Has she had scours recently? Sometimes that takes the hair off. If not she might have lice or something. Sometimes putting too much dewormer on a baby calf can make some of their hair fall out.

Rocky Hill Simmental

Just guessing, I'd think it was lice. Either that or maybe he got into some type of bedding or grasses he that upset his skin. If he does have lice maybe try some dewormer on him, it might take care of them so he won't lose anymore.

Sorry I called him a "she"  (lol)

I feed my bucket calves medicated milk replacer too and they love it. I have 2 bucket steer calves right now and another who's getting weaned and he's not happy about it.

ALABUD

Thanks for the advice and i will be deworning, if for non other than GP. Someone told me i may want to give a shot of LA200, in the event he has cought a cold, just to rule out. My kids love the thing he follows them around like a dog. anyway thanks for all of your help and i will be back i promise...

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
Just guessing, I'd think it was lice. Either that or maybe he got into some type of bedding or grasses he that upset his skin. If he does have lice maybe try some dewormer on him, it might take care of them so he won't lose anymore.

Sorry I called him a "she"  (lol)

I feed my bucket calves medicated milk replacer too and they love it. I have 2 bucket steer calves right now and another who's getting weaned and he's not happy about it.

showstick09

I had the same thing happen to a calf of mine back in May. When I took him to the vet, he said he had no idea what the cause of it was.

ALABUD

Well I have some more questions now, i gave the steer some LA200 and now his stool is loose not scours yet i dont think but real loose at this point, how long till this clears up??? thanks again for all your help

showstick09 said:
I had the same thing happen to a calf of mine back in May. When I took him to the vet, he said he had no idea what the cause of it was.

shortyjock89

It may take just a couple days, and feeding him more grass hay in the next couple days should probably do the trick.  (welcome)

jldshorthorns

We had a calf do that, it wasn't due to lice either. What had happened is she had gotten a fever and got so hot that hair on her brisket and legs began to fall out. There really is nothing you can do other then let it grow back. :D