FS IMPROVER PLUS 021M

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Looking for information on the bull - Elbee if you are out there and anyone else esp want to know if he has been TH tested - TIA

Will

I saw him a few years back and he is an impressive bull.  Tons of bone and muscle.  A touch on the corse side but really a useful kind of bull.

sue

DL

2005 herd visits- I just found notes today on this bull... still looking for snap shots. I saw this bull @ SBS Shorthorns in Manhattan KS. Lee took us there to see him. I would like to say that is a really nice herd of Shorts- I found a group of SBS Chase daughters that were very uniform. Bill and Susan were simply funny and charming people.
  He is a dark roan smooth made thick made moderate made bull. I dont recall coarse issues - maybe as he covered more females over the years? This was the same year we saw Elbee Wymore- Lee took me to NE from KS to see everything he owned or had interest in.  I recall Improver Plus 021 - being a little heavier muscled bull .  Pics that I have somewhere and can scan and forward... maybe if I find them .
I think the bull would be a great very versitile breeding tool.

M Bar

Who is the sire of SBS Chase?  Hmmm.  You might be surprised by his pedigree.

itk

I remember seeing SBS Chase as a calf and about fifty other times throughout my life. In my mind he is the best beast I ever saw at Bill's. My first thought when I saw him was that Bill bought him somewhere. I about fell over when Bill told me he raised him. IMO he was about ten years before his time. If he came out now and was at a bigger breeders place he would be very popular. I think Bill might still have semen on him. Bill has got along really well with all the bulls he has got from or owned with Lee. The IP daughters are very uniform and make great cows, just like they are bred to be. Sue, you are right about Bill and Susan being great people, some of the best neighbors we have they are always willing to help and have never met a stranger.

sue

ITK- how close are you from Bill and Susan? I want to go back to that herd- I was rushed the 1st time.

SBS Chase is clean, his sire was not - I cannot tell how many examples of this Chase line I have stumbled along that just flat work- lots of rib and a real moderate beefy look. WMF Chase was not clean? I am a bigger fan of Marston's older breeding vs the new.
Funny thing about this post- I had just emailed a new breeder and recommended this visit to SBS . I love it when you can visit a herd that just has all the basics covered, do what they like and are willing to share what did not work- thats what I took away from Bill and Susan .  Let's see how many others visit this herd this summer??
For the record FS Improver was a bull ahead of his time too. DL just use it!

DL

Thanks for all the info - I have the cow, I have the semen - I have the power to make it happen :eek:

I think I found a picture of him too ttp://www.sjcattleco.com/page9.html

Okotoks

M Bar said:
Who is the sire of SBS Chase?  Hmmm.  You might be surprised by his pedigree.
Well I had not heard of this bull so looked up the sire, WMF CHASE Y41. A HS Instant Enticer son out of a Deerpark Improver cow. We had a 3/4 brother to this bull, Diamond Bing Bang Boom 3B. We only used 3B briefly on some heifers and one cow and a few very productive cows came from these matings. One of his daughter's Diamond Della Dottie 43D was the dam of Diamond Helena Dottie 12H!

itk

Sue I grew up about 5 miles north of them. My dads health went south about four years ago and we got out of the shorthorn bizz (he just got a new hip on Monday). We still have a few embryos to start again someday and a neighbor who has bought enough cows from us to keep some of our favorite bloodlines going. When I say I thought Bill bought him. I mean, I thought he won the lottery, didn't tell anyone about it and spent the money on a bull. SBS Chase was not just good, with the problems in the breed today, he could be big time problem solving good if used on some of todays cattle. Bill is brutally honest about his cattle what has worked and what didn't. Other then Bob Miller I can't think of another breeder where I have to set aside a block of time to visit with because I know I might be there awhile, but every conversation with him is a learning experience.

sue

to my knowledge in a herd not far from you aj- this bloodline was used heavily... but tested posted for th when offspring were offered as herdsires...  SBS Chase is thf ??

aj

My bad. I kinda forgot what the deal was. Guess the old chase was a th carrier. He got it the old fashioned way.....thru improver and not double stuff. I think the old bull was dead when Bill,Warren, and Harold bought the semen rights just when the th deal was being figured out. Then he came back a carrrier. Come to think of it the old chase bull might be an interesting guy for the club calf deal if carriers are tolerated.

Latest posts