FSF Kolt 45 and maternal shorthorn question.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Go Green

Anyone using Kolt 45? Happy with the results?

Also, i have a shorthorn cow i really like but she passes on issues with her back legs. She's getting older so i would like to breed her to something to put in the replacement pen, improve structure, make a good cow, really want roan. She seems to go bull/heifer every other year so should be due to have a heifer next. I have attached pictures of her and her 2023 MAB calf.

Attachments

• wendy.jpg
    wendy.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 11
  • wendy1.jpg
    wendy1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 10

mark tenenbaum

Good looking cow I SAY:Comptons How Its Done He checks all the boxes and is one of the soundest thickest highest growth and LOWEST REAL NO BS REAL WORLD BIRTH WTS OF ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A BULL THAT LOOKS LIKE HIM. And I have used almost every clubby Shorthorn there is. NONE OF THEM HAVE HIS PERFORMANCE and he comes from 20 plus YEARS OF GOOD COWS-I see them all two to three times a year including three of mine at Jim Comptons-who raised him and the cattle all the way back. OF TWO calves born so far: they have been 70 and 75 The 75 was out of pretty hard calving clubby genetics. Over the years IVE seen: low bws low grow, absolute lies about bws given the genetics involved,- HI BWS THAT ARE SMALL,THICK AND TH PHA OR BOTH ETC ETC. One guy Ive known for 30 years in Illinois is using him on heifers.Im not saying hes foolproof-I AM SAYING-That I have experience with Fereer genetics and know alot of other people who have too. They are great looking, can be hard calving (some are extreme) yet are mainly pretty small and tend to be lacking in some cases structurally. A bull like HID would do them ALOT of good Especially in :the performance BWs and all the rest, which are clearly trending in show heifers under a less political judge

mark tenenbaum

Heres How its Done at the Cattlemans Congress He had been up and down the road to Nichols bull Stud for moths AND IS NOT FAT-Look closely you can see a little of his ribs and none of the tell tale stuff that comes from hot hard feeding Hes mainly fed Hi Roughage He wasnt 2 in the pics-But hes already a little over a ton. The baby pictured: (How its Dones second calf very recent ) is the 68- 70 pounder His dam-IS A FIRST CALF HEIFER Very moderate and no more than 1000 pounds-Double proud Jazz. That calf is taking off and will be normal sized from the looks of things.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.jpg HID OKIE 3.jpg
    IMG_4999.jpg HID OKIE 3.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4998.jpg HID okie.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg HID okie.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5001.jpg HID okie 1.jpg
    IMG_5001.jpg HID okie 1.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_2 (2).jpg Hid Baby.jpg
    Resized_2 (2).jpg Hid Baby.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_2 (2).jpg Hid Baby 1.jpg
    Resized_2 (2).jpg Hid Baby 1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 10

Go Green

Thanks Mark, looks like HID would work good on my shorthorn cow. The other question regarding Kolt45 was because i have a few black maintainers i'm looking to breed clubby.

mark tenenbaum

Thanks Mark, looks like HID would work good on my shorthorn cow. The other question regarding Kolt45 was because i have a few black maintainers i'm looking to breed clubby.
The 1000 pound dam of the calf pictured is about as close to an oldschool Oklahoma clubby as you can get . HE IS BEING USED on clubby cattle in Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma Illinois etc. A guy on here is using him on char based clubby heifers. Saw a couple pics and they are really good, thick and are NOT little turtles. He had posted a picture of his bull from Horns They are one of the premier breeders along with Chris black Glover and some others of those kind of cattle.Talk about a good looking beast. Really looking forward to seeing some of his calves. Maybe if you try him: you could get a sound heifer bull from that cow

Last edited:

hntwhitetail

Ive seen some good Kolt 45s. I havnt used him myself yet, but may on a deep clean monopoly daughter.

Latest posts