Ft. Worth Fullblood Maine Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

I just got in the pictures of the 4J Family Cattle Grand Champion Fullblood Maine Bull and Heifer.  They do not quite represent the quality of the cattle, but it was proven that DSMA Quigley is the next powerhouse of the Fullblood Maine Anjou scene.  Our string of 4 Quigley offspring won the following:
Grand Champion Fullblood Bull
Grand Champion Fullblood Heifer
1st Place Class 1 heifers
1st and 2nd in Class 2 heifers
Champion Get-of-Sire in Fullblood Show
Champion Best 4 Head in Fullblood Show
Champion Breeders Group in the Fullblood Show

I also wanted to send a congratuations out to Spencer Denton who had Division Champion Maine in both the Ft. Worth and San Antonio Jr. Heifer Shows that was raised and sold by 4J, and Macie McCollum for her Grand Champion Maine Heifer at San Antonio that was bred and sold by Buck Cattle and 4J Family Cattle

Zane Mai
www.4jfamilycattle.com

Attachments

• GCFBBullFtWorth2011.jpg
    GCFBBullFtWorth2011.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 327
  • GCFBHeiferFtWorth2011.jpg
    GCFBHeiferFtWorth2011.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 334

ZNT

jbzdad said:
Zane.. do they have a separate full blood and purebred divisions?

yes, at Ft Worth, they have a separate fullblood show. It's the only one I know of in the U.S.  I'd love to find another, if there is one.

fullblood

i always seem to find hm count cunia DE epinal and Harding's capital gains somewhere in the champion 's pedigree? anyone have pic of those old bulls?

Telos

Congrat's JJN and ZNT for your showing. Very functional structure on that bull...Nice feet and legs. Heifer is also extremely nice. Saw them at FW and both were young and a little green. The pictures probably don't do them justice.

I  hope there are enough breeders who have the patience to continue breeding  these Maine's back up again. Most everyone got caught up in the moment when there was enough black purebreds and seemed to ignore the Fullbloods. There is enough different genetics that could be exploited IMO.

I think the stacked cow families in some of those modern Fullbloods are hard to beat. There was some amazing Fullblood cows that were imported as well and they always seem to show up in these pedigrees. All the Fullblood Maine breeders need to be commended for continuing these genetics that will always have something important to offer.

knabe

chambero said:
Are there still a lot of fullbloods in Europe?

declining.

Staff nurse cows
   1979        1988 2000
128000            86920       57002

with selection of bulls for AI so steep and the phenotype of them so bizarre, it's probably safe to say trends will continue.

mark tenenbaum

From the few pics here and there Ive seen of the later French Maines-they seem to have fallen apart somewhat-and keep getting bigger-that post last year with bulls in a parade-showed one that looked 6 feet tall and had to wiegh close to 4000 Ibs-Scary O0

Jill

Really like the heifer, I wish there were more Fullblood shows/breeders around, it really seems a shame to loose the unique females in the breed and just become another crossbred registry, some of those old fullblood cows around here were absolutely fabulous.

ZNT

Jill said:
Really like the heifer, I wish there were more Fullblood shows/breeders around, it really seems a shame to loose the unique females in the breed and just become another crossbred registry, some of those old fullblood cows around here were absolutely fabulous.

Jill,

We are going out on a limb, and going to try running this fullblood heifer against the blacks at Houston.  If the judge does not get hung up on the color, I think she can make a really good showing.  The judge at Ft. Worth thought she could run pretty hard against the blacks, given the chance. We'll see how it goes.

SHAGGY

Seen someone mention the bull Hardings Capital Gains earlier in the post. Is he hard to get semen on and anyone have any info on him? We had bought a cow a LONG time ago out of him and we sold two really nice calves off her then sold her, but man i would love to have her back. Just didnt know much about him.

Telos

He has really come on since FW. Need more bulls (any breed) with feet and legs like that one. Soft pastern, big footed  and moves freely. Clean jointed and smooth. Toes even point the same direction. Makes you wonder why more people don't use bulls like this. Freeze his semen and maybe a couple of decades later someone might figure out his value.

If only I had a Shorthorn cow........Don't even have to worry about the color. IMO, this is just a plain good outcross bull and he's not saturated with Cunia.

ruhtram

Nice bull and heifer! I think they should compete real well against the black purebreds.

WB

I went out to look at a Maine heifer I am now buyin ( shes pretty cool Zane Mai and the 4j family partnership raise some great calves  ;D ). Well long story short I saw that fb bull out there and he is pretty stinkin cool! Looks WAY better in person.
Good luck at Houston

Will

PaFFA Proud

Wow I just luv the red and whites and Im glad to own one! Jw do the full bloods get as hairy as the black ones because i wash, comb, and blow the leg hair everyday and its just not coming in as good as it should. Alos the bull in the video could pass as mine...almost.

knabe

how'd houston go zane?

The 7.62 mm bullet Osmond had fired had passed through the heads of both men. He had achieved the rare feat of ‘one shot, two kills’ known in the sniping business as ‘a Quigley’. The term comes from the 1990 film Quigley Down Under in which the hero, played by Tom Selleck, uses an old Sharps rifle to devastating effect.

maybe quigley will have both milk and muscle, a double kill.

ZNT

knabe said:
how'd houston go zane?

The 7.62 mm bullet Osmond had fired had passed through the heads of both men. He had achieved the rare feat of ‘one shot, two kills’ known in the sniping business as ‘a Quigley’. The term comes from the 1990 film Quigley Down Under in which the hero, played by Tom Selleck, uses an old Sharps rifle to devastating effect.

maybe quigley will have both milk and muscle, a double kill.

I loved that movie!  Houston went well.  Our 2 heifers we had there got 2nd and 3rd in class behind the Resevse Overall Heifer.  We left our fullblod bull home for this one.  Quigley calves are hitting the ground again this year, and there are a couple of barn burners already.