Ft. Worth steer show

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

gocanes719 said:
The Polled Hereford was the best one in the lineup IMO.  You won't see a crossbred like that win again anytime soon.  Consensus was Bland's steer that was second in his class should have won hands down. 

Just looking at the pics I would have to agree - that Hereford is a good rip !!!!!!

bjam4

was told by couple people there that polled and hereford were best two in lineup

j3cattleco

afhm said:
That Hereford was out of  purebred bull called Showtime owned by Copeland and Drager in NM, so he was a little more than just Hereford marked.

Do you know what cow he was out of?

kobo_ranch

chambero said:
The guy that gave me the info must have jumped the gun with Justin's past Pass connection.  Surprised he had it slightly wrong though.  For those that dont know them, this is good solid family - not the kind of folks that try to buy it. 
Saw part of the sale on RFD this morning... the family did seem like basic folks.  Was glad to see.  Couldn't believe that the reserve brought almost as much.  Wasn't sure who that family was (though may be well known).  Our sons steer got a 2nd round (not right out the gate) but ended up not pulled (just didn't get looked at enough (i thought) by the judge. (74 steers in heavy weight exotics)  Several of our friends kids made the sale though so we were happy to see that.
I'm thinking this man had to be exhasted after judging so many classes.  Being our first year I maybe just silly, but why don't they have more than one judge at these major shows?  Seems like after looking at soooo many steers they'd all start looking alike??  A little dissappointed I guess... Our cowboy has such great hair gonna cry I think when we have to shave it!! Hopefully we'll get him placed before end of season.  <cowboy>

scales17

i thought blands steer was champio hands down and ended up 2nd in class.
but in the champion lineupi like the polled and horned hereford the best.
the angus was a freak  too

May Cattle Co

Champion steer was out of Mimms Donor 899, Meyer 734 cow. Reserve was out of 36, a Dr. Hook that Mimms sold. Congrats to Dr. Mimms.

JSchroeder

Couldn't believe that the reserve brought almost as much.
There's a tradition in Ft Worth of going bonkers on the champion Hereford and Angus steers.  They routinely bring in the 60k+ range while the other breed champions are around 20k.  That carried over into the reserve grand steer since it was an exotic Hereford.

Steer4Caddy

The Reserve Grand was stalled next to us.  He was good but not real stout.  Just sound, pretty, and functional.  Not at all freak muscled or even exotic muscle design.  I thought the Polled Hereford was going to be Reserve.  He was nice.  The Grand was great and a great story for everyone involved.

As for my family, we were proud to raise and fit our own calf that placed 6th in the Heavy Exotics.  It was a big deal for us with all of the professionals we were competing with.

chappy

There is a good story behind the Grand Steer look up the local news Station WFAA.com Channel 8. They have a good story about the young lady.  when I heard the story I am glad she won. It wasn't the best calf but definitely the best story. The class 8 winner was the best calf IMO.

cowboybecoachin

Freddy said:
Is the Hereford steer show down there sifted like the Angus steer show , had a registered Angus calf that was pretty good an the people interested in him backed of because they said he was to good an would be sifted out, an he is a registered Angus bull now that will be sold later this year ....How do the Texas rules work .....

The Angus got hammered. 39 kicked out. We had a full-blood, registered steer get kicked out, mainly because he was TOO GOOD! This is 4 in the last 3 years and very frustrating. This calf was a light-weight, half brother to last year's lightweight champ, and very stout. While I do not wish to dog the classifiers, we need EXPERIENCED SHOW PEOPLE who know real Angus, not the "carcass" or EPD types that only know animals on paper or county agents using a 1930's manual.

Our cattle are stout. We do not apoligize for muscle and bone that most Angus do not have.

There were a number of maine influnced calves that got in. I know. As a breeder, I have friends that were excited to get their Full Flush or Who or Hardcore calves in the show.

The answer, of course, is DNA testing. This is not hard. I do not know why the American Angus folks or Ft. Worth oficials are willing for a breeder to raise superior, full blood Angus, for a kid and his family to to invest $3-4000 or more in a great calf, then see that calf kicked out because 3 guys, who may or may not be qualified, think he is TOO GOOD to be an Angus.

If you agree, or have thoughts on ways to improve this ridiculous system, please e-mail me @ [email protected]. Thanks for the vent.

chambero

In Houston a couple of years ago, a purebred Angus steer we had sold got sifted.  Same show, another one of our calves out of a halfblood Maine bull and a halfblood Charolais cow got in.

I do wish they'd fix it.  But they won't. 

We didn't have any Angus calves at FW this year.  Got lucky and got my son's in last year.

My son had a "major malfunction" with his steer Friday morning in the first class.  The steer had been turning mean on us since about November, but he had still had been able to handle him - he stood Reserve Grand at our county two weeks ago.  Everything was fine all week and the calf was fine when we had to leave him going down the ramp.  But then it took forever for him to show up in the ring.  The calf started being a knothead when he got crowded up down below.  When my son came in, the calf tried to take off.  Conner did a great job hanging in there, but he got away about 50 foot in.  I'm still thinking fine - he'll catch him and things well settle down.  Nope - calf makes a lap around the ring and then then has his "oh crap - I'm not supposed to be doing this" moment.  He sees my son and the calf makes a beeline straight back to him at a dead run.  Problem was the calf stopped two steps too late and Conner stood his ground trying to catch him and get him shown.  The ring men wouldn't let us remove my son from the ring till the rodeo doctors checked him out.  From the stands it looked like the SOB half killed him.  Fortunately he's fine and its on to San Antonio with another one.  I hope someone really enjoys the steak off his Fort Worth calf. 

I was too mad and frustrated (not at my son) too watch the steer show after that and we had heifers across the street to take care of.  In general, I think this judge was fairly consistent with what he did last year.  They didn't have to be the thickest calf in the ring at all.  He wanted them deep and sound more than anything.  I looked the Grand over pretty good Saturday morning as he was waiting to be sold.  You wouldn't necessarily pick him out as a great one if you just saw him standing in the stall, but he did look very complete.  Honestly, I don't mind judges picking them that way - as a whole we have these crossbred steers plenty thick - the other traits are a little rarer.

Telos

I agree with you Chambero on how the judge operated. I think complete is a good analogy. He looked kind of average all over, but hard to put a hole in him. Also he appeared very fresh.

The only fair way to seperate these steers is be color pattern and then divide the American crosses. It is the most unfair thing to do when sifting these cattle by breeds. Potentially the Grand steer could have been sifted because he was too good. They just need to get it right and stop sifting calves before they even show.

Steer4Caddy

I'll second this opinion.  It's not totally the calf as much as it is who is taking the calf through the sift.  I heard of many purebreds getting kicked out and the only good way to do it is DNA testing.  It would help registered breeders out tremendously also.  It's really frustrating when you have a great one and that happens.  The Reserve American was led through by somone from another county, not even related to the family, from my understanding.  He was very borderline but that is what you have to do to play the game.
cowboybecoachin said:
Freddy said:
Is the Hereford steer show down there sifted like the Angus steer show , had a registered Angus calf that was pretty good an the people interested in him backed of because they said he was to good an would be sifted out, an he is a registered Angus bull now that will be sold later this year ....How do the Texas rules work .....

The Angus got hammered. 39 kicked out. We had a full-blood, registered steer get kicked out, mainly because he was TOO GOOD! This is 4 in the last 3 years and very frustrating. This calf was a light-weight, half brother to last year's lightweight champ, and very stout. While I do not wish to dog the classifiers, we need EXPERIENCED SHOW PEOPLE who know real Angus, not the "carcass" or EPD types that only know animals on paper or county agents using a 1930's manual.

Our cattle are stout. We do not apoligize for muscle and bone that most Angus do not have.
There were a number of maine influnced calves that got in. I know. As a breeder, I have friends that were excited to get their Full Flush or Who or Hardcore calves in the show.

The answer, of course, is DNA testing. This is not hard. I do not know why the American Angus folks or Ft. Worth oficials are willing for a breeder to raise superior, full blood Angus, for a kid and his family to to invest $3-4000 or more in a great calf, then see that calf kicked out because 3 guys, who may or may not be qualified, think he is TOO GOOD to be an Angus.

If you agree, or have thoughts on ways to improve this ridiculous system, please e-mail me @ [email protected]. Thanks for the vent.

chambero

We have a premium sale at our county and you keep the calf.  This was the first timme in calfs life (counting halter breaking) he'd ever gotten away from any of us.  Just one of those deals.

mp

The champion shorthorn was a sin city out of a moody blues cow. Eddie Johnson in Oplin Texas who is my Father in law raised the calf, he has been an awesome calf from day one. He had a ton of hair but would have slicked, he was all there. Jaycee Guest, the girl who had the shorthorn is another cool story. She only has 2 calves, and no cool room. She, as in her self, not her dad and not hired help, rinsed and blew her calf at least 3 times a week, she works her butt off. Its nice to see people like her and the Buckalew girl have the success they have had. Congratulations Jaycee, your hard work paid off, and congrtulations Eddie Johnson on raising a great steer!

HerefordGuy

afhm said:
The hereford marked Dr. Hook.
So the Hereford was a Showtime X Dr. Hook? 
I think the AHA should promote it.  As I've said before, if every other breed is crossed up at Ft. Worth, what's wrong with the Hereford being crossed?
If you've watched Hereford advertisements, most of the time they have a big picture of a black baldy front and center.

DLD

Chambero, I thought maybe that was your son that had the trouble there in class 5.  I'm very glad that he's not hurt.  I meant to get over and look at your heifers before we left Friday, but my ride was in a hurry to get back and we took off before the show was over.

I too like the Blands steer, and would've picked the Polled Hereford before the Hereford, but I guess the Hereford may've followed the grand better.  I didn't have any problem with the grand, but as others have said, seeing in him the stall he just hit me as a nice steer.  I do appreciate Lewis' using those really sound, complete ones to win instead of the freakier ones.