Full Flush cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

rtnok

I have a full flush cow that I have had to pull every calf she has had. I was wondering if anyone has saved heifers out of them and had the same problems? Thanks Roni

Dusty

Full Flushes aren't generally the most maternal things in the pasture.  And, they do have some BW behind them.  My advice to you is if she's good enough, flush her or if she's not that good take her to town and get rid of her.

afhm

I've never had any trouble with my Flush daughters calving nor have I ever had any calving troubles on cows bred to Flush.  I love them for cows one of the most productive and money gerating cows I have is a Flush. On her 1st 2 calves she triple her investment cost, and the 3rd could be her best yet. He was only 65# and he is double bred Flush being out of a Mossy Oak son.  There must have been some birthweight issues on your cow's dam's side as well with the problems you are having.

DTW

Full flush definetely has some birth weight behind him.  Remember he is a f ull throttle son. 

Calved many full flushes over the years.  Not as hard calving has throttles but were some that needed to be pulled. 

What works best on full fl ush cows has alot to do with what type of female she was out of.  Heat wave seems to work but they wont come little with that cross. 

I will be keeping a couple daughters out of a full flush cow and angus bulls.  My full flush cows milk good but about half of what their mother milked. 

I have been seeing some good dejauve cows that are making very good mothers.  They seem to have a bigger pelvis than the full flush daughters.  Which is coming from dejavue's mother.  I think there was only one calf ever pulled out of dejavues mother and that was because she was backwards. 

DTW

Full flush himself is TH negative.  So i would say most are Th clean altough one of mine is PHA positive coming from her mother.

trademark

Dusty said:
Full Flushes aren't generally the most maternal things in the pasture.  And, they do have some BW behind them.  My advice to you is if she's good enough, flush her or if she's not that good take her to town and get rid of her.
What makes you say that they are not very maternal? 

yuppiecowboy

There is a whole lot of crosses breed wise in Flush, compounded with the variable genetics of the dam means it is impossible to say "X bull works" "Y bull doesnt".  Its going to be a hit and miss, nick em up deal. Whole lot of great FF cows out there doing it with a whole lot of different bulls. I would suggest mating phenotype to phenotype as opposed to going off of matings you have heard being successful.