Full Tank=Fuller Look

Help Support Steer Planet:

4sistersshowingwhatwegot

Ok... I have a steer that needs more of a fuller look... was curious as to what works the best in your all's opinion. He's needing to be pushed as far as feeding goes, I'd say he probably weighs around 600 lbs. right now. I am contemplating using Full Tank, but wasn't sure when the best time to start him on it would be. Is it okay to feed him that daily? Will that give him the best results? What kind of hay would work best for him as well? The guy we got him from told us to give him free choice on hay, but again, wasn't sure what kind would work the best. Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!

4sistersshowingwhatwegot

We are working him up to being on complete full feed... he's in with 3 other calves. He's getting a little bit of silage as well. They have a round bale in the pen with them, believe it's mostly fescue.

Bain Simmental

IMHO full tank needs to be fed regularly in order for it to work ive only tried it on heifers and it worked pretty good but after talking to others i wouldn't recommend it on breeding heifers because it creates the full look by adding more internal fat that can make breeding more difficult, which seems to have happened with one of the 2 heifers it was fed to.  I also like to give mine good coastal Bermuda but that is also the more common hay in my area.

showsteerdlux

Bain Simmental said:
IMHO full tank needs to be fed regularly in order for it to work ive only tried it on heifers and it worked pretty good but after talking to others i wouldn't recommend it on breeding heifers because it creates the full look by adding more internal fat that can make breeding more difficult, which seems to have happened with one of the 2 heifers it was fed to.  I also like to give mine good coastal Bermuda but that is also the more common hay in my area.
How can full tank make them fat? It is a fiber product. We feed it to heifers as well as most everyone around here, and non one has had that problem. It's a filler so I can't really grasp it making them have more internal fat.
In response to the steer yes he should have it everyday.

jphelps

4sistersshowingwhatwegot said:
Ok... I have a steer that needs more of a fuller look... was curious as to what works the best in your all's opinion. He's needing to be pushed as far as feeding goes, I'd say he probably weighs around 600 lbs. right now. I am contemplating using Full Tank, but wasn't sure when the best time to start him on it would be. Is it okay to feed him that daily? Will that give him the best results? What kind of hay would work best for him as well? The guy we got him from told us to give him free choice on hay, but again, wasn't sure what kind would work the best. Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!

For the filler I think it really depends on the calf. I have one this year who loves beet pulp, I know it's odd. We have tried full tank as well with him and I didn't think i got near as good results as I did with beet pulp. On the other hand we did the same thing with a heifer and the full tank worked better. Try different products out, we just got some umbragers apex so we'll see how that works. We feed it everyday with every meal.

showsteerdlux

jphelps said:
4sistersshowingwhatwegot said:

For the filler I think it really depends on the calf. I have one this year who loves beet pulp, I know it's odd. We have tried full tank as well with him and I didn't think i got near as good results as I did with beet pulp. On the other hand we did the same thing with a heifer and the full tank worked better. Try different products out, we just got some umbragers apex so we'll see how that works. We feed it everyday with every meal.
We also switched to Apex as that is what we feed for our feed as well. It works wonders on pigs as well for dropping them down.

rackranch

Is he getting his own ration or are they all three eating out of the same bunk??? If they are all together make certain he is getting his share... some calves eat slower or get bullied off the feed...I would not worry about his middle until I have the calve on full feed, hay and water for a little while... give things a chance to start working then if needed start adding some filler... I have used a product called bulk'em up for two years and it is very similair to full tank and it does work...buy give the little feller a chance to get on full feed first...JMO

4sistersshowingwhatwegot

What kind of hay do you recommend feeding to him? And thanks to everyone for all the advice, just wanting to get some people's opinions before we start him on something to help his middle. We have used beet pulp before and have had pretty good luck with it, he's just gonna need some extra help and was wondering if this would be the solution!

iahogfarmer

I dont know what it was but i couldnt get my calves to eat Full Tank if my life depended on it.  This past year i fed X-pando from essential show feeds (i believe) and liked the results, really made the steers belly down