funny hair on calf's head...

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

there's this white patch on her forehead and the white hair is alot longer than the rest...kinda looks funny from the profile...anyway...wonder if it means anything???  lol  

Attachments

• 100_7457.jpg
    100_7457.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 188

kanshow

I think white hair does grow longer than colored hair.  It sure seems that way when you have a white bellied black calf.

xxcc

linnettejane said:
OH Breeder said:
Interesting stuff about the "whorls" on cattle heads. Have to check that one out.

yeah..i think it means something, but i cant remember what...

When Canadian Geese are flying south (or north) do you know why one side of the V is loinger than the other?

shortyjock89

That's awesome! Also why I love white roan cattle, they just have so much more hair.

OH Breeder

linnettejane said:
OH Breeder said:
Interesting stuff about the "whorls" on cattle heads. Have to check that one out.

Temple Grandin did extensive research on this topic.

...relationship between hair whorl position and temperament ....higher placed on the forehead the more flighty the animal tended to be,..Animals with a high whorl position or no hair whorl had higher temperament scores
It was apparently horse trainers who were first to note a link between hair whorl position and temperament, and cattle have similar patterns.

justme

OH Breeder your answer sounds better than mine lol....I was thinking it waws a "medicine hat calf" instead of a medicine hat stallion lol

bcosu

OH Breeder said:
linnettejane said:
OH Breeder said:

Temple Grandin did extensive research on this topic.

...relationship between hair whorl position and temperament ....higher placed on the forehead the more flighty the animal tended to be,..Animals with a high whorl position or no hair whorl had higher temperament scores
It was apparently horse trainers who were first to note a link between hair whorl position and temperament, and cattle have similar patterns.

i have noticed that in most of our cattle that if the swirl is low on the nose then they are generally calmer and just pain friendlier. we have a couple that have whorls higher on their head and they don't trust you as much.

loveRedcows

OMG!  Why "Google" anything when you have access to Steerplanet?  Keep it up!