futurity shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShortyJ13

Can someone please explain futurity show to me?
I know that our state fair has one for simmi's but i really don't know much of anything about them...
just wondering  ???

shortdawg

I would say it's pretty much a Prospect Show where you are combining what the calf is today with what it will be down the road.

DLD

What we call futurity shows in this neck of the woods is when calves that are purchased at a particular sale as prospects are brought back for a showback (only among the calves that were in that sale) a year later, as market steers or as ~18 month old, bred (hopefully) heifers. A percentage of the money from when they sold originally is held back as prize money for the "futurity" (showback).  There are some variations, but basically that's a futurity. The basic idea is that everyone had a chance to buy their choice of prospects and the chance to bring them back and compete against only the other calves out of those sales a year later - kind of a challenge to see who has the best eye and who did the best job - they're alot of fun, and they can pay pretty decent as well. They're also a good outlet and exposure for smaller breeders with only a few calves to sell, and a good place to buy for folks that aren't quite ready to/ or aren't interested in going out and beating the bushes to get a decent show calf bought.  We have several futurity sales sponsored by different breeds and also some mixed breed ones as well at the OK Youth Expo and the Tulsa State Fair.

mike

Wessington Springs SD has one of these every year at the Sioux Falls empire show for people that buy calves at their sales in Sept,. it pays real well also